Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2007, 09:38 PM   #1

Clock on cluster

Here is something odd. Out of the blue my clock on the cluster started flickering then stopped and stayed steady. This happened for a couple of days. Then i went to get in my car and it's completely dead not light it doesn't like up at all with the headlights on/off.. is this a bulb issue or short issue. I do have to say that I changed the bulbs to the blue ones from porscheleds.com about 6 mths ago and this is the first hint of problems. Let know what you think.

clb0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:52 AM   #2
boggtown

Probably a loose connection, Ive got the same LEDs. Id just take the cluster off and mess around with the bulb. I had to take the circuit board out before I got a good connection on a couple of them.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:14 AM   #3

i am going to try this fix on the weekend
Old 01-10-2007, 06:02 AM   #4

I doubt you will find a bulb, I'm quite sure that display is LED. I have a Mercury mountaineer with the radio display out two years running now. after some internet research, I found the problem to be a power board in the radio, good luck, don't be surprised if you can't fix this without spending big money. In my temp display on the Boxster, one leg of one numeral is not working but has worked once, same deal, I just iggy it.
stucatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:33 AM   #5
boggtown

You should open your cluster up and fiddle with stuff. One leg went out while I was installing the bulbs but after I got a bulb in right it went back on.

And there is a bulb WE installed it outselves. Yes its LCD but you have to light it up some how.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:08 AM   #6

well here is the thing with what you guys were talking about. When i kinda shake the cluster it flicks so am assuming it's some kinda of wire loose. Then after picking up from my mchanic i noticed that it was not working at all that you could see the time but it had no back light to make it visible... So i am leaning towards a short but will check the bulb these german cars are expensive to buy but even more to maintain. I had 6 german cars in my life time and electrical problems is a must have when you buy them LOL... Also for the money i will spend i will just get a new cluster got to be cheaper then spending 90 at my local mechanic per hour and then parts.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:57 AM   #7

Alittle update on the flickering bulb on the cluster. It was like I think bogg said just a loose bulb which I tightened and everything is fine.