Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2006, 07:14 PM   #1

Non-Porsche engine swaps?

Is there much information available on non Porsche engine swaps for the boxster? For example many 914 owners have successfully swapped Subaru motors such as the ej205 and ej257. It seems to me that a swap of this nature would be much more cost effective than doing a 3.8 swap or a 3.4 swap with a TT kit. 450-500 whp is easily achievable with many smaller, turbo motors and the motor cost would be way less than the cost of a 3.8 or paying 20k for a twin turbo kit. I understand the fabrication for a swap would be very labor intensive and expensive but if it is being done on 914s I would think (correct me if I am wrong) it could be done in a similar fasion on a boxster.

Here is a list of motors I was considering for a high horsepower configuration.
ej207 (jdm subaru wrx sti)
ej257 (usdm STi)
ez30r (jdm legacy 6cyl non turbo)
Audi engines are another possibility but known for high maintence.
ls1?....

I know this idea probably wont go over big with many people but just wanted some feedback or thoughts from people who are more Porsche experienced than I am. Thanks.

boardertj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:17 PM   #2

Hi,

In the realm that anything is possible, these could be done. But, I suspect that a better match all around would be something like an RX-8 Twin Rotor RENESIS Engine. Aside from the increased available power, it's lightness would undoubtedly give the car some favorable handling characteristics as well. 'Course that would be pure Porsche blasphemy, but probably no more so than a Subie motor...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 04:26 AM   #3

LS1 would be awsome
Old 12-16-2006, 04:31 AM   #4

Smile

Renegade hybrids makes conversion kits for 911s, 914s, 928s etc.

No boxster kit that I know of.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 11:44 AM   #5

this is exactly what i was thinking, i have a 2.0 subie in my sand rail that puts out 230 HP to the wheels , the total cost was about $4500.00 w/ the buggy exhaust and all the fancy polished aluminum. if that motor was to go into a boxter it would be $1500.00 for the engine control, $500.00 for the tranny adaptor plate kit,$500 to $2500 for the motor and what ever motor mounts it needs. i'm not sure of the weight on the boxter motor but my 2.0 subie weighs about 320 lbs
yfz/700R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 03:10 PM   #6

now this is a serious topic. haven't had good posts lately, about time.

this is something we need to discuss. so what else...is it really possible, any
real savings. would it make sense....
986Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 03:42 PM   #7

Smile

I don't see this as feasible.

The electronics, motor mounts and trans mating alone make me shudder.

Old 12-16-2006, 04:22 PM   #8

So like is this what were talking about?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-SUBARU-IMPREZA-WRX-ENGINE-MOTOR-EJ20-227HP-LOW-MILES_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQihZ007QQit emZ170060746551QQrdZ1
Old 12-16-2006, 04:40 PM   #9

those subie engines can be modded to ridiculous hp. One of the drafters at my job has a 2004 WRX STi. He hooked up with a tuner in Oceanside, and got and different subie engine, that is bored out with a bigger turbo and larger intercooler. He puts 400 hp to the wheels, and his tuning is "mild" (it cost 20 grand tho ). The guy who owns the shop races STi's and has 2 that put 600 hp to the wheels.

This is using a 2.5l engine!! The guy at my office's engine is bored out to 2.65l. He is very actice on the Subie forums and he has told me several times that there some posters who talk about dropping the subie motor in boxsters. I dont know if it has been done yet tho.

I bet when all is said and done tho, you will have spent what a 3.4 or 3.6 or 3.8l carrera engine swap would cost. Not to mention that the Porsche gods would strike you dead with fireballs from hell.

As you would deserve, BTW. :troll:
Evo Intake
Partial Carbon Interior
Black Leather Sport seats
M030 Sway Bars
Litronics w/ Clear Corners
Boxster S brakes
B&M Short Shifter
PnP rear Speakers + Amp
pecivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 06:24 PM   #10

I own a 2004 wrx and am somewhat active in the subaru world and used to be very active on nasioc which is the biggest subie forum. I read a thread about someone who was contemplating the swap into a boxter and that is why I decided to make this thread.

Mounting up to the trans seems like the biggest task. Thats why i suggested audi engines because I read on a 914 forum that they bolt right up to the 914 trans...

This topic needs to be explored more in depth because this could be a more economical solution to high horsepower.

Does anyone know of a good reputable shop that I could talk to and see what they think is possible?
Old 12-16-2006, 06:54 PM   #11

Do you own a Boxster? by the way I dont think you will offend any one with this thread.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:42 AM   #12

No i currently do not own one but I have a relative who is likely going to be selling me their low mileage 99 for a very good price.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:06 AM   #13

Low mileage? You planning on it not running in the near future or just want to keep your options open?
Old 12-17-2006, 05:14 AM   #14
Rennzenn

Garage
other Porsche engine options

Just to throw in another curveball, how about a gt3 or gt2 cup motor? I'm not thnking of a new one, but rather a used/rebuilt race motor. There are quite a few around, and I'd gather that with a bit of searching, one could be found in useable shape for a reasonable price. The modifications to install this motor would be considerable, but no where near what it would take to use a motor from another manufacturer. The Porsche gods would save their fireballs for someone else and hopefull smile down with a twinkle in thier eyes.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 08:59 AM   #15

mating the subaru motor to the tranny would not be a problem at all, just like i mated my subaru 2.0 turbo to a vw bus 091 tranny, i'm sure there is an adaptor plate for the 5 speed boxter tranny if not they can be made. the not so difficult part would be the motor mounts, and the difficult part '' for me anyways '' would be to make the stock temp gauge work and preventing the dash from lighting up all the warning lights
Old 12-17-2006, 12:25 PM   #16

Smile

No offense but why would I want a mix of a subaru 4 cylinder engine in my Boxster? Irrespective of the top HP I MIGHT gain, I lose torque and I frankly lose the whole mystique of the car.

If I was going to trash the crap out of the car's integrity, I would simply go with a larger Porsche engine.

That's just me.

Now, if I had a 944, the Ls1 motor is in there in a flash. Now are are taling torque.

Old 12-17-2006, 12:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
No offense but why would I want a mix of a subaru 4 cylinder engine in my Boxster? Irrespective of the top HP I MIGHT gain, I lose torque and I frankly lose the whole mystique of the car.

If I was going to trash the crap out of the car's integrity, I would simply go with a larger Porsche engine.

That's just me.

Now, if I had a 944, the Ls1 motor is in there in a flash. Now are are taling torque.
i have no clue, but i can tell you why i was thinking about it.
1)DIY 3.4 porsche $8,000.00 maybe, will it be reliable??? or do they have the same issues the 2.5,2.7 and the 3.2 do??
2) DIY supercharger $6,500.00, will it be reliable?
3) subaru conversion $5,000.00 will it be reliable? yes. will it be fast? yes.
will it still be the best looking convertible on the planet? imo yes
Old 12-17-2006, 01:50 PM   #18

Ok, but keep in mind DIY supercharger can be done for between 2 and 3k. They have been proven to be reliable but please lets not get into that discussion.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioboxster
Ok, but keep in mind DIY supercharger can be done for between 2 and 3k. They have been proven to be reliable but please lets not get into that discussion.
i thought the sc kit was around 6k, i'll reread your sc posts
Old 12-17-2006, 02:34 PM   #20

They can be found for around 2-3k on e-bay and craigs list. There is one in the classifieds section of this board but he wants way too much and will never sell it for that price.