Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2024, 08:29 PM   #1

Importance of keeping the lifters organized

So, it was a devastating blow, but needless to say I cracked a cam bearing in my valve cover while installing it. The oil pressure wire slipped between the head and cover, and I didn't catch it... Since the cover is machined to the head, I purchased a complete used head to replace my perfectly good but now worthless head.

My question is, how important is keeping each lifter matched to its valve? That is keeping each lifter is in the same hole and cam lobe as it was when pulled from the running engine. The guy I bought it from says they are matched, but what if they aren't and he mixed them up? Maybe I'm being paranoid, but he removed all the lifters from the head for the pictures on eBay.

I could use my original cam with lifters since I know they are matching, but wouldn't that be worse on the cam bearings in the replacement head?

Any help/advice is appreciated.

2001 Boxster 2.7L

zcabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2024, 07:44 PM   #2

Pretty sure you don’t need to keep track of which was where. They are mass produced and the bores are standard. Measure them and prove it to yourself.
On the other hand, it’s pretty easy to write numbers on a piece of cardboard and put them there. I used to keep them in order until I worked with a guy who never did, and never had any problems. He would pull them from completely different motors (same model).
986tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2024, 05:43 AM   #3

It is very important.
Old 07-11-2024, 04:14 PM   #4

Thank you for the advice. Just to be safe, I decided to just buy all new lifters. I’m using the original cam but from what I have read, that is ok. If anyone knows different, please let me know. Thanks again.
zcabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2024, 12:55 AM   #5

Using your original camshaft with the replacement head can be a good idea if the cam lobes and lifters are known to be matched. However, you need to ensure the new head’s cam bearings are in good condition and compatible with the original cam. If you use your original camshaft, inspect the cam bearings in the replacement head closely. If the cam roller bearings are worn or damaged, it might be better to use the camshaft that comes with the replacement head.

Last edited by elsabeth; 08-14-2024 at 10:26 PM.
elsabeth is offline   Reply With Quote