Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2006, 08:55 AM   #1

Question How do I program my 3 button remote key?

I recently purchased a 2003 Boxster S. It came with one 3 button key and the valet key. I bought a used 3 button key on Ebay that I now need to reprogram to make it work on my car. has anyone successfully done the reprogramming themselves? or is this a dealer only task?

Any suggestions or information is most appreciated.

TexasBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 09:03 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBoxster
I recently purchased a 2003 Boxster S. It came with one 3 button key and the valet key. I bought a used 3 button key on Ebay that I now need to reprogram to make it work on my car. has anyone successfully done the reprogramming themselves? or is this a dealer only task?

Any suggestions or information is most appreciated.
Hi,

Only the Dealer can program the remote. Also, only the Dealer can supply and program a Key Blank. Call the Dealer and they'll explain. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:33 AM   #3

If your new key doesn't have the hang tag on it with a serial number and a bar code, you just wasted your money. Used keys without the tag cannot be reprogrammed.

Whereabouts in our great state are you located? There's a small contingency of Houston area boxster owners on this forum and then a couple more in the DFW area.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 01:40 PM   #4
Ex Esso kid

If you didn't buy the car from the dealer you take the key to plan on experiencing some "anal sex" reprogramming charges.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 02:09 PM   #5

Reprogramming a key head is usually an hour of labor... $100 or thereabouts. The key blank was $25 at my dealership, and there was a $6 charge for cutting it... or was it the other way around? I dunno.

You must have both your car and a working key with you for them to do it, plus a key head that has the hang tag I mentioned beforehand.

Replacement keys are pricey. When and if I buy my next pre-owned boxster, the seller will have to supply two working keys and a valet key or I will walk away from the deal or take $250 off for each missing key after final negotiations have been made.

Where the heck do the keys and manuals go anyway? I've always kept these things with each car I've purchased... even if they go in the house they are kept in a safe place! :troll:
Old 11-29-2006, 06:20 PM   #6

Randall,

I'm guilty ! I still have a set of keys from every car I have ever owned

I usually trade my car to the dealer that I buy the new car from, and they never ask for the extra keys and I always forget to bring them

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 06:50 PM   #7

Nick, it may be too late to fix the past, but you sure can do auto buyers everywhere a favor and keep all your boxster keys and manuals for the next guy! I might just be that next guy, so be kind to folks like me
Old 11-29-2006, 07:11 PM   #8
boggtown

When I bought my BMW it only had one key. So we asked the dealer and he said hed get another key made, so I then had 2 keys. Then, the previous owner brought the other key so I had 3 keys, and a valet key. Pretty sweet. I didnt find my owners manual untill a couple monthes after I bought the boxster. my brother was snoopin in my car and founf it under the passenger seat, I was like "Heck yes".
Old 11-29-2006, 07:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Nick, it may be too late to fix the past, but you sure can do auto buyers everywhere a favor and keep all your boxster keys and manuals for the next guy! I might just be that next guy, so be kind to folks like me
Randall,

I do have the owners manuals for my car, but unfortunately only one key

I guess what comes around goes around

Sound advice though, thanks !

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote