Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2023, 10:38 AM   #1

Garage
Airbag module replacement confusion.

I have read a lot of discussions on airbag modules and remain confused.
It is mentioned in many threads that the VIN number has to be programmed into a replacement airbag module, using one of Porsche's diagnostic tools. But there are a couple of threads of just replacing the module with a used one, resetting the error codes and all is good.
This is an example:
DIY: Airbag Module replacement & reset
So is the reprograming of the VIN really necessary?

My Durametric gives a list of codes for the airbag, but the important ones are:
"3 - Supply voltage
195 - Control module internal fault - All fault codes over 100 indicate a critical fault and usually require a new control module"

I checked the supply voltage and it is OK... so it would seem that the module is defective.

Thus my interest in replacing the module.

1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 11:33 AM   #2

Yes, it may need to be coded to the car, depending upon where the module came from. If it is out of a similar year Boxster, probably not, if it is either new or reconditioned, or from a model other than a Boxster, then yes, it will need to be coded to the car. And it might be worth the cost to get it checked by someone with a PIWIS unit, a brand new module is about $1,200 at retail.............................

Last edited by JFP in PA; 08-26-2023 at 11:37 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote