Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2006, 01:51 PM   #1

Clutch Pedal and Return Spring

I just bought a 2003 Boxster with 11700 miles. The car is perfect. The Clutch pedal seems to have a real strong return spring. I looked up with a mirror at the spring action under the dash and was wondering if anyone has ever had it replaced with a weaker one. My wife likes to drive the car and I don't want her left leg to get bigger than her right leg. Anybody have a comment? Thanks

steeleco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 02:52 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
I personally have not heard of replacing the spring BUT i have heard of new or near new clutch pressure plates being hard to press due to it new age and strength... It'll get softer with age or your leg will get stronger with age also.... Quick question, Is your wife a model? I personally never seen anyone get a large calf muscle from driving a manual car with a tough clutch pedal.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 08:33 PM   #3

Hi,

There is no weaker Spring available. It'll loosen with time...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 06:00 PM   #4

A softer spring would not work anyway. The spring provides pressure against the foot in the first half of the travel, but pushes the opposite way in the second half of the travel, assisting you in compressing the clutch springs. Thus, if you replaced the spring with a softer one, the effort would be reduced for the first half of the travel, but would actually be increased from there to the floor.

Cheers.
kenkamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 03:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkamm
A softer spring would not work anyway. The spring provides pressure against the foot in the first half of the travel, but pushes the opposite way in the second half of the travel, assisting you in compressing the clutch springs. Thus, if you replaced the spring with a softer one, the effort would be reduced for the first half of the travel, but would actually be increased from there to the floor.

Cheers.
Right, and anyway the spring isn't what your foot is fighting when you press the clutch. Your foot is fighting the action of the pressure plate.

John V is offline   Reply With Quote