Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2023, 01:13 PM   #1

2001 986S throttle, warm starting issues, could use some help

Hi All, working through an issue with my 2001 986S boxster (93k miles) and could use some help. Really appreciate any input!
So a few weeks ago is when the issue started (have never gotten a CEL through all of this), I was driving on the highway when my throttle seemed to stop working. Was cruising in 6th gear around 2200 RPM and when I pushed on the gas it seemed to do nothing. I pulled over on the side of the highway and the engine died. Tried to start it and it would crank but wouldn't fire. Waited a few more minutes and it started up and drove fine and continued on my way.
Once I finished up in the store (about 30-45 min) I came out and the car fired right up. Drove a few miles and stopped again for 2 min. This time the car had a hard time starting, but after a few minutes it fired up and I got it home with no other problems.
When cold the car fires right up. But if I shut the engine off and try to restart it, even with the water temp just registering near the first tick on the dial, it will crank but it won't start. If I let it sit for a while, it will start right up. Topped the battery off with my tender to make sure that wasn't an issue and it didn't make a difference.
All of my internet sleuthing was pointing to a faulty crankshaft position sensor. I was able to get that replaced this morning fairly easily, but unfortunately the same issue remains. After replacement took it for another ride and it died on the highway when I hit some traffic and came to a stop. Could not get it restarted for several hours after it was towed home, but sure enough if fired right up after a long wait.
Any tips anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. I have heard horror stories of people paying lots of money for places to change parts for this problem and it not be solved. I don't want to spend thousands to fix my car that is only worth thousands, I have 2 kids to put through college.
The car has been very well maintained, recent part changes below:
4/16 (80k) - clutch, IMS, RMS, AOS, spark plugs, battery
11/16 (82k) - immobolizer module
4/17 (82k) - MAF
Ignition switch was also replaced at some point right before I acquired the car in 5/20 at 88k miles.
I'm thinking my problem may lie in the fuel system due to the initial issue, but not sure what parts that heat or running would have an effect on. Side note, the issue seems to be lessened when the cover is off the engine and heat can escape much quicker from in there.
Any ideas please let me know! Thanks so much.
Bill

luckywilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 05:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckywilliam View Post
Hi All, working through an issue with my 2001 986S boxster (93k miles) and could use some help. Really appreciate any input!
So a few weeks ago is when the issue started (have never gotten a CEL through all of this), I was driving on the highway when my throttle seemed to stop working. Was cruising in 6th gear around 2200 RPM and when I pushed on the gas it seemed to do nothing. I pulled over on the side of the highway and the engine died. Tried to start it and it would crank but wouldn't fire. Waited a few more minutes and it started up and drove fine and continued on my way.
Once I finished up in the store (about 30-45 min) I came out and the car fired right up. Drove a few miles and stopped again for 2 min. This time the car had a hard time starting, but after a few minutes it fired up and I got it home with no other problems.
When cold the car fires right up. But if I shut the engine off and try to restart it, even with the water temp just registering near the first tick on the dial, it will crank but it won't start. If I let it sit for a while, it will start right up. Topped the battery off with my tender to make sure that wasn't an issue and it didn't make a difference.
All of my internet sleuthing was pointing to a faulty crankshaft position sensor. I was able to get that replaced this morning fairly easily, but unfortunately the same issue remains. After replacement took it for another ride and it died on the highway when I hit some traffic and came to a stop. Could not get it restarted for several hours after it was towed home, but sure enough if fired right up after a long wait.
Any tips anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. I have heard horror stories of people paying lots of money for places to change parts for this problem and it not be solved. I don't want to spend thousands to fix my car that is only worth thousands, I have 2 kids to put through college.
The car has been very well maintained, recent part changes below:
4/16 (80k) - clutch, IMS, RMS, AOS, spark plugs, battery
11/16 (82k) - immobolizer module
4/17 (82k) - MAF
Ignition switch was also replaced at some point right before I acquired the car in 5/20 at 88k miles.
I'm thinking my problem may lie in the fuel system due to the initial issue, but not sure what parts that heat or running would have an effect on. Side note, the issue seems to be lessened when the cover is off the engine and heat can escape much quicker from in there.
Any ideas please let me know! Thanks so much.
Bill
It is not to common but relays can get where they don't function correctly when hot.
So first If you think it is fuel related change out any relays that are fuel pump and or fuel injector related.
If that doesn't fix the issue then you need to create the no start condition and then test the fuel pressure at the fuel rail with key on to see if your fuel pump is delivering correct fuel pressure to allow the engine to start.
Key on engine off fuel pressure at the rail should be 3.8 bar + or - 0.2 bar
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 04:01 PM   #3

Spot on Blue62, pulled out the fuel pump relay and jumpered the pins and the car fired right up. Got the new relay today, tried to start the car to recreate the issue and it wouldn't start at all. Replaced the relay and she fired right up and no issues after warming up. Really appreciate the help. Bummer that I missed a lot of nice weather dealing with this issue but I learned a lot about the car in the process, so the glass is half full!
luckywilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 05:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckywilliam View Post
Spot on Blue62, pulled out the fuel pump relay and jumpered the pins and the car fired right up. Got the new relay today, tried to start the car to recreate the issue and it wouldn't start at all. Replaced the relay and she fired right up and no issues after warming up. Really appreciate the help. Bummer that I missed a lot of nice weather dealing with this issue but I learned a lot about the car in the process, so the glass is half full!
Good to hear you got it sorted

blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote