Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2023, 12:09 PM   #1

Garage
Switching betwen two tunes in Motronic 7.8

I´m a bit confused so I´d appreciate a few pointers...

I am now a bad boy and run catless, the car has a custom tune for my setup (Motronic 7.8).
This summer I´m going to Nurburgring and I cannot run catless there, the german laws are too strict, I´d be stranded if the police stopped me.

So, I need to run cats and need to redo my tune/mapping, I have a great tuner so if will work out.

The car runs and sounds amazing right now, so it feels a bit sad to go back to oem 400cel cats (Only one set of cats on my German import car). So I see two options:

1) Fix some high quality 200 cel cats

2) Run two separate setups:
a) oem 400 cel for Nurburgring and MOT
b) catless when I feel the need for speed. ;-)

Alternative-1: The big issue is to find a good quality 200-cel setup, so good quality that I will even be able to pass MOT, I actually cannot seem to find anything on the market, any suggestions? This + a new tune will be quite costly and I guess I´ll get drone. Also, 200 cel will still not be legal in Germany, but I´m sure a lot less offensive than running catless.

Alternative-2: No problem to get a new tune for the oem cats, but when switching between the setups I need to get the different tunes installed each time, and my tuner lives in another city. Would there be any possibility to switch tune easy? Like dual Eproms or something? I don´t think there are any cheap software solutions, but maybe I´m wrong?

Ok, there is a third option, going back permanent to oem cats, but I´m pretty sure they are restrictive, so it doesn´t really do it for me..

I hope this wall of text made any sense...

Last edited by Robert986; 05-18-2023 at 12:22 PM.
Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 12:01 AM   #2

Garage
I'm actually considering sticking to the oem cats, guess I'm getting old.. It would solve a lot of practical issues.

Do we really know if and if so how much they might restrict the potential for power?

Last edited by Robert986; 05-21-2023 at 01:06 PM.
Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote