Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2023, 11:41 PM   #1

Boxter 986 bonnet dont open

Hi

Got flat battery and cant open front bonet to charge battery . Try to find emergency cable on front wheels both side but is not here . Try. with jump cable in fuse box but won't open front or real trunk , only made clicking noise in fuse box location . The remote key also not working . Try to power the car by cigarette got power to dashboard all sem to work (horn, wipers etc) but cant open bonnet by switch also the door lock buton on dash not working .

Can any one help me to open the bonnet and charge the battery ?

robedywer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 08:54 AM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robedywer View Post
Hi

Got flat battery and cant open front bonet to charge battery . Try to find emergency cable on front wheels both side but is not here . Try. with jump cable in fuse box but won't open front or real trunk , only made clicking noise in fuse box location . The remote key also not working . Try to power the car by cigarette got power to dashboard all sem to work (horn, wipers etc) but cant open bonnet by switch also the door lock buton on dash not working .

Same thing happened to me recently. I had to bang with my fist on the hood over the lock while someone else was clicking the switch, but then it released. Probably something should be lubricated in the mechanism,
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 08:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeoboxter View Post
Same thing happened to me recently. I had to bang with my fist on the hood over the lock while someone else was clicking the switch, but then it released. Probably something should be lubricated in the mechanism,
But in my case both front and back won't open the lock dont made any noise only click on back of the fuse box when connect positive
Old 05-22-2023, 02:56 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi

I have found that connecting to the terminal in the fuze box needs to be done with a decent sized battery, as it takes a fair amount of current to run the actuator. A battery charger wouldn’t cut it, but it was able to connect to my motorcycle battery (and my MC jumper cables have small clamps on the ends, which helps) and that worked just fine.
Old 05-22-2023, 05:15 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
But in my case both front and back won't open the lock dont made any noise only click on back of the fuse box when connect positive
Sorry, I didn`t read your post carefully, I missed that the clicking noise is not coming from the actuator. In that case. try what tcoradeschi is suggesting, probably it needs more juice. You can aalso add power to the connector at the fuse box from another car using a jump start cable.
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 07:26 PM   #6

Garage
I couldn’t get mine to work using a battery charger on the boost setting. Used jumper cables from a running car and that did the trick
Bill Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 10:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
I couldn’t get mine to work using a battery charger on the boost setting. Used jumper cables from a running car and that did the trick
Try this also not work
Old 05-23-2023, 06:16 AM   #8

Garage
Sorry man. Hope you get it figured out.

Bill Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote