Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2023, 01:17 PM   #1
Top down

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Pastor T
Boxster Wiggle

Ok guys, here is one for you guys. My 2000 Boxster 2.7, 185,000 miles, has a tracking issue in the rear. When going down the road in a straight line 50 mph and above, the rear end darts back-and-forth almost like you were driving on some kind of grooved pavement.  it’s not like the car is fishtailing, it’s just a wiggle.  i’ve had the car up on Jack’s and been all over underneath. I see nothing loose or out of place. I’ve pushed and pulled and tugged on everything. I’ve checked every nut and bolt on all of the suspension sway bars, etc., nothing loose. Wheel bearings are good, shock mounts are good. I’ve had it on jackstands with the rear tires hanging free i.e. no weight. I’ve had it on jackstands and then jacked up each tire so that it is holding weight and checked it for anything loose.  I changed my tires, Michelin pilot sport, and put my sticky track tires on. It still does the same thing.  the only thing that I can figure is it may be the steering rack. I don’t feel any play in the wheel. I don’t feel any play while driving and the rear end is wiggling. Recently change the front motor mount  so that is good. I have never changed the two transmission mounts. This has got me stumped. I’ve owned the car for 13 years and put 100,000 miles on it. I’ve never seen or felt anything like it. has anybody got any  bona fide ideas. Please, no jokes, I’m way past that. thanks in advance.

Pastor T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 07:16 PM   #2

Garage
Have you had the alignment checked?
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 01:02 AM   #3
Top down

Garage
No, i have not checked the alignment. I’ll do that. Thanjs
Pastor T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 02:13 AM   #4
Registered Member

You don’t mention if any of the suspension has ever been replaced. You’ve. potentially got a bunch of 23 year/185k mile old rubber bushings front and rear.
Old 05-18-2023, 03:31 AM   #5
Top down

Garage
Thanks Tom, you are right. I have not replaced any suspension parts except the sway bars. Rather than just replacing everything, where should I start. Obviously the rear. Then what? This could get expensive.
Old 05-18-2023, 09:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor T View Post
Thanks Tom, you are right. I have not replaced any suspension parts except the sway bars. Rather than just replacing everything, where should I start. Obviously the rear. Then what? This could get expensive.
I'd get the alignment -- that almost seems like one side or the other has some toe -- could be in or out. One of the control arms could be bent ever so slightly --- or maybe while still tight, something knocked something and added some tow, but otherwise appears fine (i.e. tight) -- until you drive it.

Last edited by seningen; 05-19-2023 at 08:54 AM.
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 10:14 AM   #7
Top down

Garage
Thanks, I think you may be on the right track. I'll move in that direction.
Old 05-28-2023, 12:19 PM   #8

Alignment and suspension such as bushings and control arms etc would be my guess.

bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote