Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2023, 11:16 AM   #1

Interesting fact. A disconnected oil pressure sensor throws no code.

An interesting fact I just learned that I thought might be useful to others. It turns out the oil pressure sensor on my 2001 S Boxster had been disconnected at some previous point. The shop that discovered this of course reconnected it and the car immediately threw a code for a failed sensor.

The sensor was replaced solving that issue.

Two interesting things therefore, unlike almost every other sensor on the Boxster there is no open circuit detection code for the oil pressure sensor. That is a fact you may want to squirrel away for another day. Secondly I can find no pressure reading from this now working sensor in the Duratech software I have. That explains why I did not notice the reading was absent even without a code. Odd since this would be a very useful thing to know in some cases. Am I missing something?

Just FYI

Philip

Morph_986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 07:26 PM   #2

sensor or switch? boxsters have switches - switch closes if pressure drops below a certain point and turns light on. been that way since before ecus. unplug switch and ecu just sees that switch is open - all good, no light. if switch fails then shorts to ground - ecu detects fault and throws code for failed switch.

want a sensor that tells oil pressure then get a 996. or replace the pressure switch with a bosch sensor (like the 996) and put a gauge someplace - lots of threads on this. still won't get a reading on your durametric though ...
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 05:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
sensor or switch? boxsters have switches - switch closes if pressure drops below a certain point and turns light on. been that way since before ecus. unplug switch and ecu just sees that switch is open - all good, no light. if switch fails then shorts to ground - ecu detects fault and throws code for failed switch.

want a sensor that tells oil pressure then get a 996. or replace the pressure switch with a bosch sensor (like the 996) and put a gauge someplace - lots of threads on this. still won't get a reading on your durametric though ...
Spot on. Well put sir.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2023, 05:44 PM   #4

Just goes that you need to check everything you learn. The device was called a sensor by the tech, the part description is sensor and the reason for the discussion involved small changes in oil pressure, not binary oil pressure or not.

If it is a switch, then I stand corrected.

Philip
Morph_986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 06:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morph_986 View Post
Just goes that you need to check everything you learn. The device was called a sensor by the tech, the part description is sensor and the reason for the discussion involved small changes in oil pressure, not binary oil pressure or not.

If it is a switch, then I stand corrected.

Philip
Fun fact - that switch doesn't close (activate) until the oil pressure drops to 7 psi. Pretty worthless, if you ask me, considering the working pressures are 40-60psi. By the time that light goes off in a race, your engine is already toast.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk