Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2023, 07:09 AM   #1

Digital Torque wrench,.recommendation's

Hello..looking to buy my first Digital torque wrench for my up and coming work on the Boxster,Cam Pad's,IMS up date,Suspension work, Etc,..I have a cheap spring gauge type of wrench,but I know I need a good one,Especially one that is degree capable for the flywheel torque,Any help would be Greatly appreciated,...Iam thinking in the 2-3 hundred dollar range but would also be very accurate.

Thank's ! Frank

flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 07:35 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flmont View Post
Hello..looking to buy my first Digital torque wrench for my up and coming work on the Boxster,Cam Pad's,IMS up date,Suspension work, Etc,..I have a cheap spring gauge type of wrench,but I know I need a good one,Especially one that is degree capable for the flywheel torque,Any help would be Greatly appreciated,...Iam thinking in the 2-3 hundred dollar range but would also be very accurate.

Thank's ! Frank
I know this will draw criticism, but we have used only Snap On units for many years in the shop (I personally own five different range models). Quality and dependability are top notch, as is service and support if ever needed, which hasn't been the case with us. Ours are in daily use year-round, and get banged around as you might expect in a commercial shop environment, yet when tested for accuracy after years of this use, they were all spot on their specs and have not needed recalibration.

Yes, they cost more, but every time I reach for one, I know it is going to work, and work accurately.
Old 04-26-2023, 06:47 AM   #3
On the slippery slope

Garage
I may get flamed, but Harbor Freight actually has some good ones.
Yes, if I was a pro, maybe not,Id probubly go with snapon but for no-pro use HF is fine. I had my el-cheapo click one from HF checked against my buddies recently calibrated Snap-on one and I was within 1 ftlb.
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 08:18 AM   #4

Hmm,.That's interesting JayG, I also want the accuracy,I will only use it for the Boxster and my 914 and MGB work, if I could find out who makes them for snap-on,Iam sure it would be a tad cheaper..I watched a You-Tube Vid from a site called Project Farm,This guy test all kinds of items..and gave Snap-on the highest rating ( cant remember the 2nd place one ) so far prices are near 500-600..new, thinking maybe a 2nd hand one might be the way to go ? But there are always option's right, Thanks Gentlemen, I appreciate the info, Frank
Old 04-27-2023, 09:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Hmm,.That's interesting JayG, I also want the accuracy,I will only use it for the Boxster and my 914 and MGB work, if I could find out who makes them for snap-on,Iam sure it would be a tad cheaper..I watched a You-Tube Vid from a site called Project Farm,This guy test all kinds of items..and gave Snap-on the highest rating ( cant remember the 2nd place one ) so far prices are near 500-600..new, thinking maybe a 2nd hand one might be the way to go ? But there are always option's right, Thanks Gentlemen, I appreciate the info, Frank
Find your local Snap On rep and see if he has any trade in/ refurbs (they sometimes take tools in partial trade towards new ones) as these are the same quality but sold at a discount.
Old 04-29-2023, 02:37 PM   #6

Oh..Great Idea..Iam guessing 1/2 in drive..would be the best application..? Thanks !! Frank
Old 04-29-2023, 05:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Oh..Great Idea..Iam guessing 1/2 in drive..would be the best application..? Thanks !! Frank
1/2 Drive are the most common and widely used.
Old 04-29-2023, 06:53 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
I think it also depends on the torque range you need. I have 3 wrenches for 3 different ranges and each has a different drive. For example, if you want to torque down an M6 precisely, you won`t be able with a 1/2 wrench because it won`t work in that range. And M6s are very easy to overtorque, and you car is full of with them.
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 07:14 AM   #9

Good point Homoboxster..I've been thinking I should get a decent small one aswell..I can make use of both for sure..Thank's Guy's Frank