Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2022, 05:31 AM   #1

Aftermarket stereo to MOST Boxster

I have a 2004 Boxster SE with the MOST CDR23 and the Bose amplifier. I would love to swap in a radio similar to this:

https://cai-store.com/collections/996-generation-of-911s-99-04/products/kenwood-single-din-porsche-911-996-986-radio-upgrade-w-cd-player-unit-only-select-parts

It does look like you can use something like this for the interface:

https://www.amazon.com/Optical-Decoder-Mercedes-Porsche-boxster/dp/B089YT17V3

For those of you who have done it, does that interface provide power and illumination to the radio? The first link shows an extra step of having to wire over to the ignition switch for illumination, which is a step I would rather avoid.

It would be great if there is a box I could buy that plugs into the car, the stereo plugs into that, and it supports the existing amp without having to run any extra wires.

s_wilwerding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 06:50 AM   #2

This adapter doesn't work with a 2004 986 SE.

Also you`ll need an adapter that turns the interior bus signal to ignition on for your new radio. Or you have to do some additional wiring so you`re new radio gets B+ when you turn ignition on. On the CDR 23 the radio turns on when you put the key in the ignition lock, which also turns on the Bose amp. This is done by an interior bus signal from the instrument cluster / and Most bus to the amp.

Also you`ll no longer get any radio or cd-infos in your instrument cluster.

Easiest way is to replace radio an and amp and do a complete new wiring. Down side: they've used the Most-bus to have no hum or other noises. With analog chinch cables you have good chances to get hum or other high frequent noises from the alternator, even if you use good shielded cables.

Alternatively you can go with a Dension or something else and keep the CDR23 and the Bose.
Old 11-29-2022, 10:37 AM   #3
On the slippery slope

Garage
The CDR23 and amp in my 04 996 was replaced with a Denon unit and amplifier, bypassing the Bose and MOST system completely.

Works and sounds great

2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote