Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2022, 05:30 AM   #1

Garage
DIY oil filler tube.

On my project Boxster S the oil filler tube that goes from the trunk to the engine had a hole in it. A loose piece of insulation foam rubbing on it wore through the tube, not very solid.

A new one is well over $100 delivered here in Canada... so I said to myself, "there has to be a cheaper way".

A flexible radiator hose looked like the way to go, a 1.5" ID tube would do the job. My idea from the start was to connect the radiator hose to the engine end of the old tube. Unfortunately when the radiator hose arrived it was too stiff to bend easily. So I fabricated a bracket to give it the necessary shape.

A piece of 1.5" plastic tubing serves as an adaptor.

Here is my bracket.

Installed in the bracket.

And the finished product as it will be installed.

A radiator clamp will hold it on the trunk end and a zip tie to hold it in the bracket. Total cost: $30 in materials and about $75 in labour... if I paid myself minimum wage.

1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 01:17 PM   #2

I would be surprised if a radiator hose would survive in that application as the materials it is made from is not designed for exposure to hot oil vapors.
Old 10-23-2022, 09:52 PM   #3

Garage
I like DIY solutions! Probably some good PCV hose would work better for this application though. It`s also important to keep this tube flexible, as the engine moves quite a bit. I`m afraid your current design is too rigid for that. Another thing to consider is that the tube should not collapse under vacuum.
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 04:10 AM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Much better than the neck of a juice bottle that I pulled off a '97 that I bought:

Old 10-24-2022, 06:56 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Much better than the neck of a juice bottle that I pulled off a '97 that I bought:

Lol. Lucky I didn't see that before I made mine, it might have influenced me. My problem being the flexible part options were limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeoboxter View Post
I like DIY solutions! Probably some good PCV hose would work better for this application though. It`s also important to keep this tube flexible, as the engine moves quite a bit. I`m afraid your current design is too rigid for that. Another thing to consider is that the tube should not collapse under vacuum.
I will keep thinking about alternatives, I'll look at PVC hose as you suggest. The plan is to change the engine again next year so I will see if my solution holds up or if I have to come up with something else.
There is still some movement possible, the tube is just sitting in the bracket so it can move a bit. Time will tell.
Old 10-24-2022, 09:27 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post

Hahaha, that`s awesome. Notice that the threaded bottle neck twists into the flexible hose. Pretty slick, I`d say.
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 05:43 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeoboxter View Post
The tube that I made seems to have held up, but I've only done about 500 KM in a couple of months of driving. Now I am looking for a more elegant solution. I've seen several PCV hoses, but am worried that they would not resist the temperature in the engine compartment. Does anyone have suggestions on what exactly I should be looking for?

Last edited by elgyqc; 07-10-2023 at 10:31 AM. Reason: spelling