Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2020, 05:38 AM   #1

No power to anything please help

I’ll start by saying I am not too technical. I have a 2003 Boxster S. Didn’t drive for about 3 weeks battery dead. Tried powering to red fuse no luck. Used a 12v, 6 amp battery charger in cigarette lighter. Charger indicated it was charging for about 6 hours now it says it is in “maintaining mode” meaning the trickle charge.

When I turn the key I get nothing. No alarm, do dash lights, no trunk opening. About 30 min into the initial charging I turned the key and the dash lights came on for about 5 seconds. Could I have blown a fuse?

Thanks in advance.

Stuttgart70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 02:52 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuttgart70 View Post
I’ll start by saying I am not too technical. I have a 2003 Boxster S. Didn’t drive for about 3 weeks battery dead. Tried powering to red fuse no luck. Used a 12v, 6 amp battery charger in cigarette lighter. Charger indicated it was charging for about 6 hours now it says it is in “maintaining mode” meaning the trickle charge.

When I turn the key I get nothing. No alarm, do dash lights, no trunk opening. About 30 min into the initial charging I turned the key and the dash lights came on for about 5 seconds. Could I have blown a fuse?

Thanks in advance.
1.Check that your battery cable connections are clean and tight.
2. Check that the Negative battery connection at the frame is clean and tight.
3. There is a small junction box near your power steering reservoir that has a main ground connection in it. That connection has been known to come loose and cause a no power problem. Check that it is clean and tight.

Those are the first three things I would start with.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 03:12 PM   #3

I would Buy a new battery, unless its a relatively new one ?
flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by flmont View Post
I would Buy a new battery, unless its a relatively new one ?
Why would you buy a new battery without having a simple load test done on it to prove if the current battery is good or not?
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 09:26 AM   #5

Did you figure no power issue after all? The reason I am asking, having the same problem and can not figure it out.
gtsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 10:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsracer View Post
Did you figure no power issue after all? The reason I am asking, having the same problem and can not figure it out.
Follow the positive cable from the battery, it connects at the firewall into a weird type of connector that you should clean and reassemble with dielectric grease.

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote