Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2022, 10:00 AM   #1

Convertible top won't go down

When I release the top latch, the windows don't pop down. When I push the "top open" button there's nothing from the motor.

I've looked at tons of threads and nothing helps with this problem. Most of the stuff I could find was related to the 97-99 MYs, not the 00-04 mine falls into, which only confused the issue as there are addition microswitches for the earlier years and an analog relay/controller vs digital.

I pulled the single microswitch at the latch and tested it for continuity. There was resistance in one position but nothing at the other. So it seems to be working (either open or closed, right? Dummy me I forgot to note which position had resistance and which didn't.)

Then I found a testing procedure in an old Porsche Tech Manual, where you check for power at the carrier of the relay/controller located in the driver's footwell. Of course the relay/controller has the pinouts in German including abbreviations (see pic), so confusing to say the least (if anyone knows what they all are, please let me know). So I tested for power, switched power, parking brake microswitch, the open/close button, and a microswitch which I'm not sure if it was the one at the latch or at the motor in the rear compartment. They all came back with 12 volts, so OK.

I pulled the relay/controller apart and it looks fine. No obviously damaged components or bad or cracked solder joints.

So my thinking is that the relay/controller is bad. As the microswitch at the latch is only on or off, and it does auto-raise the windows when the latch is closed, then either power or lack of power should pop them down when the latch is opened. Which should in turn allow the "top open" button to work.

The relay/controller is about $450 here north of the 49th, so I was hoping to find someone who would loan me theirs to verify my diagnosis, but no luck so far. Funny how people are when it comes to loaning a complete stranger a part out of your car, if only for 5 minutes.

So any thoughts from you tech gurus out there or anyone who's dealt with this same issue?

Old 09-23-2022, 10:20 AM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman View Post
... so I was hoping to find someone who would loan me theirs to verify my diagnosis, but no luck so far. Funny how people are when it comes to loaning a complete stranger a part out of your car, if only for 5 minutes.
Probably best if you can borrow one to test in your car, but the reciprocal might be easier to find a volunteer for; Send yours to a stranger to try in their car.

I'm not volunteering, but Canadians are known for being helpful with stuff like that
Old 09-23-2022, 10:42 AM   #3

Good idea, although skeptics that wouldn't want to let me try their good part in my "faulty" car will just as likely not be impressed with trying a potentially "faulty" part in theirs.

But if any Canadian member (to start with - no border hassles) is game, send me a PM.
Old 09-24-2022, 03:10 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman View Post
Good idea, although skeptics that wouldn't want to let me try their good part in my "faulty" car will just as likely not be impressed with trying a potentially "faulty" part in theirs.

But if any Canadian member (to start with - no border hassles) is game, send me a PM.
I have a spare one if you can`t get one local.
986 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 06:25 AM   #5

Awesome! Check for a PM...
Old 10-05-2022, 10:11 AM   #6

Closing the loop:

I was able to verify that the controller was faulty by borrowing one from an indy. Thank you to Forward Automotive in Victoria BC.

And I was able to buy a used one at a great price from Canadian forum member 986 Boxster. This forum is still great. Thanks Paul!