Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2006, 07:36 AM   #1

finally got my car back!!!!!

WOW~!

all I can say is it feels like a different car!!

the headers/cats/muffler sounds SOOOOO good. The guys at the shop were all commenting on how good it sounds.

Driving report: feels very much faster, and much quicker. Below about 3500 rpm it feels quicker, but above that it really kicks in big time. It just rockets! up to 7000 without hesitation. It gets to 100mph so fast it is almost scarey. The lt wt flywheel really seems to make it much more free revving too. I am glad I did that, I was a bit worried hearing about all the supposed negatives. But there is almost zero "feel" difference engaging the clutch. There is a "tad" of chatter but only at idle at a stop. It is hardly noticible. The mechanic told me that the boxsters have much less chatter and issues with the lt wt fly than the 996's, due to the way the tranny is mounted.

the 3.4 is soooooo sweet. It makes the box go like it should. The accelleration from 50 to 100 is just breathtaking. At WOT it gets up to 120 so fast I really am going to have to watch it. It is a ticket machine!~!@

The lt wt carrera 5 spokes also make a nice feel difference, in addition to looking much better. They are about 5 lbs lighter with the Michelin pilots than my old turbo twists + kuhmos. The traction on these tires is amazing. I was jamming around some backroads in Poway last nite and the tires just dont let go. I am looking forward to finding their limits.

I am stoked. This car now is a real ass kicker and causes instant perma grin. Worth every penny. I dont think I need to spend the $$ for the cams and chip anymore. (until I get used to the new power that is ).

I had a guy in a BMW 330i try to zoom me on the fwy.......hehehehehe
but as he pulled about a car length past me I hit it and just blasted past him like a rocket. It was GREAT.

I really have to be careful. This car is gonna get me in trouble.

:dance: :dance:

Evo Intake
Partial Carbon Interior
Black Leather Sport seats
M030 Sway Bars
Litronics w/ Clear Corners
Boxster S brakes
B&M Short Shifter
PnP rear Speakers + Amp
pecivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 03:15 PM   #2

great, I'll soon be joining the 3.4L boxster Club lol. I just think its better than buying a carrera. You have more power to weight ratio, a convertible, two door, mid engine, what more can you want!!! You should make a video of your car or a sound clip. Still today with the more 3.4L swaps the few videos or ZERO to be found. I just want to hear the difference and be completely convinced. LOL Enjoy your car and watch out for the cops!!!

Last edited by BoxsterRS; 11-18-2006 at 03:18 PM.
BoxsterRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 08:37 PM   #3
Track rat

Garage
Pecivil,

Are you going to the S.D. auto-x next weekend? If so I'll have to seek you out so you can show off your new hot ride a little.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:27 PM   #4

Did you get any dyno results, maybe before and after? Or perhaps how much you paid for the conversion and where you had it done? All us jealous non-3.4-ers want to know

-David
http://www.darkoven.com/sig.jpg
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:02 AM   #5

I haven't dynoed it yet, I will pretty soon, probably the next dyno day through PCA or BMWCCA. It feels so much more powerful I am dying to know what it puts to the wheels.

In terms of the cost, it ended up costing more than I thought it would. But I had unplanned expenses, like needing a new clutch and flywheel.

Cost breakdown:

2001 carrera 3.4 31k miles - 7k
Instant G headers/100 cell cats/muffler 3k
clutch kit $400
AASCO Fly $790
996 Throttle Body $250
Various hardware $250
labor about 4k
so a little under 16k

Got it done at Mind over Motorsports in San Diego. They were really good. It took awhile, but they were very professional and did a great job.
Evo Intake
Partial Carbon Interior
Black Leather Sport seats
M030 Sway Bars
Litronics w/ Clear Corners
Boxster S brakes
B&M Short Shifter
PnP rear Speakers + Amp
pecivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:26 AM   #6

I'm guessing your about 270-280HP at the wheels.

SPortec put a 997 3.8 in the 987 Boxster (aprrox 350 HP) and Excellence said it could have easily handled much much more.

THe car definitely comes "alive" out of corners when 250HP/Torque or better is under there. I've driven various roadsters between 130 HP and 300+ (I forget what the Dinan MZ3 had) and there's definitely 'sweet spot' in the power to weight ratio.
Most well balanced roadsters handle superbly like a land shark with less HP but a roadster of roughly 3 tons at 240 HP and better has an extra kick in the pants.
My local autocross club put the 986 BoxsterS in with the 3.4 and 3.6 911's.
I've equalled or bettered them on many ocassions. The 2.7 Boxsters on about 20 less power than the 4 cylinder S2000 go back and forth for quicker times. The M3 coupes seem to post similar times to the standard 996 anbd 986S.

I think what you feel is that crossing over that sweet spot (which really doesn't affect peformance as you see with the S2000 match up) but changes the seat of th pants feel entirely.
Kinda like a 3.5 - 4.0 ton coupe when you cross the 500 HP in straight acceleartion. 350 doesn't feel much slower than 450 but over 500 and it's like "wow!"
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 11:54 AM   #7

Lucky.

Congrats man.

But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote