986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Transmission mounts (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/82136-transmission-mounts.html)

Robert986 03-25-2022 01:58 AM

Transmission mounts

So, I have started my annual panic work just before the season starts..

Changed the front engine mount to OEM 987, now looking for what transmission mounts I should go for. I want a firmer ride and shifting and of course not to much NVH.

I have searched but not found a definite answer on what path to choose.

What do you guys think about RSS Tarmac Series Performance Transmission Mounts vs Wevo Semi-Solid?
I find that the Wevo-mounts looks kind of cheap compared to the RSS but I have no clue wether that´s relevant.

A little pic from the house of horror.. ;)

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1648202282.jpg

steved0x 03-25-2022 05:52 AM

I am running the Wevo SS transmission mounts on my 986 Boxster with the OEM front engine mount (unsure what version the front is, it may be the newer improved 987 style but I don't know)

At idle, there is a little bit of vibration coming through the car, like a mild back massager, but it goes away anytime I am above idle. I have had them on for several years and I can't remember if I was having a problem with shifting under load (example, going down to third heading into T1 at Daytona while braking with some lateral load) or if it was just one of those type of "since I had everything apart let's upgrade to future proof it" type of things :) I seem to recall that it did firm up the shifting, with only a little bit of extra NVM.

I got a 2nd set of my Cayman as well, I like them :cheers:

Robert986 03-25-2022 07:27 AM

Great info Steved0x!!!

I´ll be placing an order with Tarett soon so I just might add the Wevo:s :-)

Robert986 03-25-2022 08:19 AM

Btw, I believe someone had converted the old OEM-mounts.. Could that be a worth looking into?

BrantyB 03-26-2022 06:34 AM

I don't have them, but they seem like a good balance of performance and nvh.

https://www.prgproducts.com/product-page/porsche-boxster-caman-986-987-transmission-mount

MaxD 03-26-2022 05:28 PM

Buy the Wevo mounts. Almost every Spec Boxster I have seen uses them without any issues of note.

Can't comment on NVH. Always shocked when I drive the Spec without a helmet and hear ...

RSS make great stuff but the price of their mounts is a little absurd.

bcrdukes 03-28-2022 11:34 PM

I also use the Wevo SS and echo the comments as steved0x. No regrets on the purchase.

Similar to MaxD, RSS makes nice stuff, but for a dual street/track purpose car, it was a matter of diminishing returns given the cost.

edc 04-10-2022 12:57 PM

I have modified original mounts with poly.

P_Carfahrer 04-22-2022 11:16 PM

I am using 964 RS engine mounts for the Boxster tranny mounts

ike84 04-23-2022 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P_Carfahrer (Post 646098)
I am using 964 RS engine mounts for the Boxster tranny mounts

That's really interesting, how was install and what are your impressions of the feel?

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Quadcammer 04-24-2022 03:55 AM

I did the same with the rs mounts. Minimal nvh increase, install is the same as any other tranny mount as its all the same thing. Only thing to be careful of is getting all the cupped washers and stuff as they are all separate parts. For part numbers look up any thread on rs engine mounts, should give you what you need

P_Carfahrer 05-01-2022 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ike84 (Post 646108)
That's really interesting, how was install and what are your impressions of the feel?

Quad has taken care of the 964 info. I do remember the sourcing of the washers was a bit pricey. The install was pretty straightforward.

As far as stiffness they felt more solid compared to the stock Boxster mounts but to be fully transparent I couldn't really do a real comparison as I did the install over the winter when I had my engine/tranny out to to solenoid pads, chain tensioners, IMS, deep sump/baffle, LSD, etc and didn't drive it for about nine months. It feels solid on the track now is all I can say.

Didier 05-15-2022 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert986 (Post 645492)
So, I have started my annual panic work just before the season starts..

Changed the front engine mount to OEM 987, now looking for what transmission mounts I should go for. I want a firmer ride and shifting and of course not to much NVH.

I have searched but not found a definite answer on what path to choose.

What do you guys think about RSS Tarmac Series Performance Transmission Mounts vs Wevo Semi-Solid?
I find that the Wevo-mounts looks kind of cheap compared to the RSS but I have no clue wether that´s relevant.

A little pic from the house of horror.. ;)

I have also changed the front engine mount, still some vibrations and difficulties to change gears. Did you change the transmission mounts? If you changed then where did you end up and where did you buy?

Robert986 03-05-2023 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Didier (Post 646567)
I have also changed the front engine mount, still some vibrations and difficulties to change gears. Did you change the transmission mounts? If you changed then where did you end up and where did you buy?

Nope, I got stuck in putting on Öhlins R/T, rear adjustable toe links and solid bushings all around plus new wheel bearings all around, "Pedro bar etc". Time flies..

So this spring I plan to:

-Put on new brake rotors and upgrade the pads to something more track worthy
-Put on some side skirts (996.2 Gt3 look) This one is NOT performance oriented, pure looks..
-Put in a lithium battery, I ordered one from Lithium Next.
-Hopefully get on with changing transmission mounts, still haven't choosen what kind.
-Looking into strut braces, will this be the year?

Danimal 12-24-2023 08:00 AM

Any updates on the transmission mounts? Curious to see what you got and how they worked out.

QUOTE=Robert986;651507]Nope, I got stuck in putting on Öhlins R/T, rear adjustable toe links and solid bushings all around plus new wheel bearings all around, "Pedro bar etc". Time flies..

So this spring I plan to:

-Put on new brake rotors and upgrade the pads to something more track worthy
-Put on some side skirts (996.2 Gt3 look) This one is NOT performance oriented, pure looks..
-Put in a lithium battery, I ordered one from Lithium Next.
-Hopefully get on with changing transmission mounts, still haven't choosen what kind.
-Looking into strut braces, will this be the year?[/QUOTE]

Marc_986 12-24-2023 09:46 AM

How do these mounts improve shifting? I'm obviously missing something, but would say that the shift cables mostly decouple movement of engine/gearbox from the shifter.

So where I am aware of the sloppy shifting you get when the transmission moves on/off throttle and has solid linkage, I don't see this so much for cable shift...

So I would argue the money is better spend elsewhere, but as I started, I might be missing the obvious.

elgyqc 12-24-2023 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danimal (Post 657752)
Any updates on the transmission mounts? Curious to see what you got and how they worked out.

I installed PRG Products transmission mounts, the price is competitive and they are rebuildable. See post #59 here:
http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/82558-bought-2000-boxster-s-project-3.html

woodgeek 03-06-2024 08:52 AM

I installed PRG engine and transmission mounts. The engine mount was easy, tranny mounts were more of a PITA. I was having a little "bang" with every gear change due to drivetrain movement, the mounts took care of that. A little more vibration seeps into the cockpit because the mounts are firmer but I like it.