Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2022, 11:17 PM   #1

3.0 30v swap in a tip

Hi guys, i promised to start a build thread, but its going kind of slow.

The engine is '04. ASN from A4 3.0 30v 220hp v6 automatic. Good thing about it is, it is using 5hp19 trans , as seen in 986 tiptronic.

Custom engine cradle is fabricated for both side engine mounts, and the stock porsche mount is connected to the front engine mount. The engine now sits firmly and the hood locks in perfectly.

Car is 1997. tiptronic, with cable throttle, so i will be using stock ECU, TB etc.

Previously we made a 3d printed TB adapter, but ... Stock 3.0 manifold can not be rotated to face the throttle forward, and behind there is virtually no space to make a sensible intake (maf etc.) piping.
So i bought the 2.8 30v manifold, that has recesses on both sides, still it can not be rotated to avoid the coolant pipe on the front.

Only option left is the most dissapointing 2.7tt manifold You can see on the picture.

Possible consequence of this might be a rear mounted turbo... but we'll see...

More pics to come, later!

Cheers

Attached Images

gumetina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 05:02 PM   #2

Nice work, hope you get the manifold how you want it.
Are you driving it now?
986tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 11:51 PM   #3

Aren't the ports much smaller on that manifold? It's not going to make the 220bhp.
Escy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 03:06 PM   #4

Did not get the manifold how i wanted, but the only way i could. Thats why the thing is probably going to get a turbo, since its cheaper to build boost then to find a RS4 intake (big port) manifold.

It is taking some time....

I guess i made a mistake with engine choice looks like the 2.7tt fits more easy then anything, but i could not live with the 1.8t

A lot of smaller things to sort, trans oil cooler is in the way of exhaust, throttle cable is short, coolant hoses are just a bit short , fuel rail needs rewelding etc.

I did however modify the stock ecu to run VAG COP active coils and it was pretty straight forward job, just to see it fire and i will post on how to do it.

I will also test if stock ecu hardware runs with 996 3.4 software (bigger maf, mapping for 300hp etc)

Cheers
Old 04-03-2022, 12:24 AM   #5

Not too late to swap it to a 2.7tt, it's the same basic engine. I've got one in my Boxster.
Old 04-04-2022, 12:31 AM   #6

I know You do ECSY, You are my inspiration

2.7tt engine is very unpopular in my country, it is overtaxed And its also very popular in the tuning circles, so very few in parts market I had one B5 S4 for a family car, but beeing a 2000. MY car , it was a major headache when it started to brake down... On the other hand 2.8 and 3.0 are not a tuners engine at all, so plenty of cheap cars at the brakers. I run a tuning garage for quite some time (since 2004) and i kind of run away from the mainstream stuff... For example Honda B series is unobtanium these days, but a 3.0 30v engine is about 100-150euros, 2.8 is even cheaper

Back to the build,

The engine fired up. VAG COP conversion works.
Fuel rail is heavily modified, for stock fuel lines, works well.
Most of sensors are ok or close enough, only the oil level sensor is kind of uncompatible.

Throttle adapter contraption thingy is still in the works, dreaming of a 3d printed intake manifold.....

Some pics:

Old 08-05-2022, 02:44 PM   #7

The thing ia alive !
https://youtube.com/shorts/_1QiztzNmTI?feature=share

I was on the edge of my nerves, when i finally found a low miles 2.7tt auto with all the accesories 😁 but rather gave another try and it is up and running.

Engine coolant temperature sensor is the 4 pin type just like the audi one. Further more it is in the same resistance range, both for ecu and instrument panel. BUT, pinout is NOT the same 🤕

Took a while to find it out

Next stop exhaust system....
Old 02-28-2024, 12:17 PM   #8

did you finish this?