Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2022, 06:32 PM   #1

Wipers coming on at engine start

My 1997 Boxster (ROW) 5 speed has a bit of an odd startup condition. Occasionally, perhaps increasingly, the wipers will swipe once upon starting the engine. The switch position is off and that is all that occurs. The car has low kilometers, and doesn't appear to have had much in the way of hacking on the wiring harnesses. All ideas as to where I should troubleshoot first would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Cameron

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

JDMsurprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 10:08 PM   #2

Well it wasn't my awesome diagnostic diagnostic skills, nor the tribal knowledge of the forum that solved this problem, it was just dumb luck. I had my dash speakers out and what did I see? Two grounding eyelets behind the instrument cluster were simply hanging on the chassis ground studs, with no nuts! I secured them with nuts and all fixed. I believe the fuel pump prime signal was finding a path to ground through the wiper motor. This also fixed an occasional hard start issue!

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
JDMsurprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 05:16 AM   #3

Good find ... loose or corroded ground will trip you up all the time.

freserf is offline   Reply With Quote