Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2006, 07:05 PM   #1

++How much does it cost to Swap3.6++

how mush does it cost
and when we talk bout 3.6 is that come from 996?

i did swap subaru engine?(but just swap same one)
can i do it my self?

and where u guys recommend if i'm in San Francisco

thanks a lot

GooDiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:58 PM   #2

That depends on sooo many variables I can only give you a rough estimate without more info. Are you wanting to get a used 3.6L 996 engine from a salvaged car? That will probably run anywhere from 3k-7k depending on mileage and condition. A new or reconditioned 3.6L will run you approx 10-15K. I'm assuming you don't have the technical know how to perform the swap so you have to consider who will do it. If RUF or comparable company does the job expect an additional 10k or so in parts and labor. If the local Indy shop does the job maybe half that and cross your fingers. Bottom line is you are probably looking at around 10k dollars on the extreme low end and about 25K at the high end. If you don't have Bosch motronic 7.8 which was on all 2003+ boxsters you are looking at considerably more money...in which case a 3.4L swap would be the better choice.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 05:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
That depends on sooo many variables I can only give you a rough estimate without more info. Are you wanting to get a used 3.6L 996 engine from a salvaged car? That will probably run anywhere from 3k-7k depending on mileage and condition. A new or reconditioned 3.6L will run you approx 10-15K. I'm assuming you don't have the technical know how to perform the swap so you have to consider who will do it. If RUF or comparable company does the job expect an additional 10k or so in parts and labor. If the local Indy shop does the job maybe half that and cross your fingers. Bottom line is you are probably looking at around 10k dollars on the extreme low end and about 25K at the high end. If you don't have Bosch motronic 7.8 which was on all 2003+ boxsters you are looking at considerably more money...in which case a 3.4L swap would be the better choice.

where is 3.4 come from? 993?

sorry that i don't know too much bout porsche i'm really new for this.

and i don't think that set turbo on 3.2 boxster gonna better , isn't it?

thanks
Old 11-15-2006, 06:06 PM   #4
boggtown

UHG. What year is your car, what are your expected HP results. Do you just want 300 horses or a 996 engine, because Porschedoc said a supercharged 2.5 is more powerful than a 3.4, and its a lot cheaper. Or are you wanting a 3.4 or 3.6 and then superchargeing that, what are you wanting basically?
Old 11-15-2006, 06:13 PM   #5
Porscheectomy

About a hundred dollars.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:27 PM   #6

Ha!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 08:23 PM   #7

Goo, the 3.4L is from 99-01 996's. Bogg, I have to disagree with you and the Doc about the supercharged 2.5L being as powerful as any 996 engine. A s/c 2.5L might make boxster S power at best which would be in the 250ish hp range. A S/C can only safely put about 5 psi into the engine without serious modifications.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtown
UHG. What year is your car, what are your expected HP results. Do you just want 300 horses or a 996 engine, because Porschedoc said a supercharged 2.5 is more powerful than a 3.4, and its a lot cheaper. Or are you wanting a 3.4 or 3.6 and then superchargeing that, what are you wanting basically?
basicly i need horse power on boxster

but what i heard is swap engine is better and easier to get more power

and i also think that it's gonna destroy engine with supercharge or turbo?

if u have more infomation please

thanks a lot
Old 11-15-2006, 11:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Goo, the 3.4L is from 99-01 996's. Bogg, I have to disagree with you and the Doc about the supercharged 2.5L being as powerful as any 996 engine. A s/c 2.5L might make boxster S power at best which would be in the 250ish hp range. A S/C can only safely put about 5 psi into the engine without serious modifications.
how many horse power in 3.4
and is that easier to swap?

sure that cheaper how much is gonna cost with every things

thanks
Old 11-16-2006, 08:17 AM   #10
boggtown

No, think about it. You are assuming 2 different things. You think because it says 300 its 300, and you think that when they dyno test a supercherged boxster, its at that number. But a dynoed 3.4 and a supercharged boxster are similar. So think it through and dont compare crank HP to wheel HP.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:21 AM   #11

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
About a hundred dollars.
Dont forget tax... thats another $8.25.
and Shipping, About $3.49 plus the $1.50 for the Flatrate envelope to package the engine.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtown
No, think about it. You are assuming 2 different things. You think because it says 300 its 300, and you think that when they dyno test a supercherged boxster, its at that number. But a dynoed 3.4 and a supercharged boxster are similar. So think it through and dont compare crank HP to wheel HP.
I was comparing crank hp to crank hp. Lets talk wheel hp to wheel hp to make it more clear. A stock 2.5L makes about 170 hp at the wheels. A bolt on S/C will give the 2.5L engine about a 50 hp gain which would come to around 220 hp at the wheels....which is what a stock early model boxster S puts down to the ground. Even the smaller 3.4L 996 engine puts down around 255 hp to the ground. Bottom line is the 996 engine has more power. If you have some dyno sheets of a s/c 2.5L or if you have a link that says otherwise I'd like to check it out.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:30 AM   #13

The Imagine Autosports website http://www.imagineauto.com/boxster%20sc.htm has this to say about the addition of their SC kit to a base 2.5 boxster engine:

"Real world results were completed on our in-house AWD Mustang Dyno. Base line results were apx 150RWHP increased to 230RWHP. That is a 38% gain by using your weekend to bolt on our supercharger kit."

I don't agree with their statement about a base 2.5 making 150whp. Mine made 169 before I added headers. Naturally, this drops their percentages a lot too.

I sure would like to see some dyno information from one of our 3.4 Boxster forum particpants to know what their true WHP (and torque) numbers are. Then we could do a true apples to apples comparison by dyno results.

Then, it would be good to tally up the total cost for each power upgrade path and find out how many dollars per WHP each costs. That would be very illuminating.

Some guys like me don't need the most HP money can buy. We just want more HP than we have, and we want enough to feel a sizeable difference in the butt dyno.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:38 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Just do the whole engine swap. It will be alot more reliable!
Old 11-16-2006, 10:44 AM   #15
boggtown

I'm going off of what PorscheDoc said. Hes dealt with 3.4 conversions and superchargers and told me the supercharged is quicker and cheaper. I don't think ive ever seen a conversion dyno, but itd be easier to find a supercharged boxster and a conversion and race them. Lets put a stock boxster in too and see how much difference either mod makes.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:20 AM   #16

My luck, I would swap in a 3.4 and it would have an RMS problem.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:26 AM   #17

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
^^^ Your telling me. With my luck, I do the conversion and my dog dies.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 09:40 AM   #18

Thumbs up Swap.............

Do your research, but I spent alot months mulling over SC or 3.4L on my 99 2.5L. In the end the 3.4L will cost more, but it is Naturally Aspirated and more reliable. This piece of mind is worth it. I know someone who did the SC inthe first place and in the end after 2 yrs, the engine self destructed. He went with a 3.4L swap and advised me to do this rather than SC. Poor 2.5L :-(. A perfectly good engine too. This just IMHO. The 3.4L is a blast!!!
WillieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 09:38 PM   #19
HB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour

"Real world results were completed on our in-house AWD Mustang Dyno. Base line results were apx 150RWHP increased to 230RWHP. That is a 38% gain by using your weekend to bolt on our supercharger kit."

I don't agree with their statement about a base 2.5 making 150whp. Mine made 169 before I added headers. Naturally, this drops their percentages a lot too.
I remember reading when TPC did their dyno test on a stock 2.5 before adding their supercharger, their result was around that range, but I thought theirs was in the high 130s.
HB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 08:41 PM   #20

My 2.5L dialed in at 165 RWHP.

I don't trust HP claims... 99% B.S.

Do the 3.4L swap. Just be patient and save up a few more months. :]

eric95 is offline   Reply With Quote