Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2021, 05:54 AM   #1

Garage
987 EVOMS V-Flow Intake System on 986

So I am already running with the 987 air filter system for a some years and decided to squeeze a few more HP out of the system with EVOMS v-flow air filter for the Cayman 987 2005-2012

Would that be possible?

From the manufacturer website:

"
Evolution Motorsports proudly announces the release of the highly anticipated V-flow Air Induction systems for the Porsche Cayman S. Engineered utilizing state of the art CAD CAM 3D modeling, CNC machining, computer controlled Superflow air flow testing, rotational molding, injection molding and countless man hours, these systems represent the apex of air induction technologies. All of our systems install in the factory location and utilize the OEM “ram air” fresh air ducts for lower air intake temperatures and added power. Additionally, our systems also incorporate a custom cotton air filter and a 6” injection molded Venturi that acts as a vacuum for cold-air. All these components work together to create the most powerful Porsche air intake systems on the market today. This system adds 6-8 HP/TQ. When ordering, please specify year, and decklid type. Patent Pending "

The gain implies a Cayman M97 3.4L DFI engine, while I'm running on 3.2L so would expect around 3-6 HP/TQ increase.

There is also a dyno published but its accounted with Evoms ECU tune at the same type, so hard to test exact performance increase on air filter alone

"
Software Only- EVOMSit Software Only (Stock Exhaust/OEM Catalysts):

-Stock Power 320HP/273TQ
-EVOMSit Tune 333HP/285TQ
-Increase 13HP
-Increase 12TQ

Stage 1 Tune- EVOMSit Software + V-Flow Air Intake System:

-Stock Power 320HP/273TQ
-EVOMSit Tune 340HP/293TQ
-Increase 20HP
-Increase 20TQ
"

Anyway, installation is pretty straight forward, you have to drill two holes in the air box to fix the venturi chamber (very well made metallic piece).
and insert the new filter.

See comparison between the old OEM 987 (dusty) filter and the v-flow filter

notech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 06:13 AM   #2

Garage
And the new filter installed!

I have reset ECU and went for a run.
People claimed to have an increased suction noise and slight increase in power.
My ears didn't notice and appreciable increase in suction noise (but I am running cat-less and Manzo muffler) and dynobutt also doesn't really discern any power, maybe a little bit more torque at low end.
Immediately I had a change in exhaust note, before I used to have a nice symphony reaching exactly 4000rpm to 4500rpm with my catless and sport manifolds setup, it is now a little bit less appreciable and more raspy on higher rpm and full throttle.

Update day2: My symphony at 4000rpm is still there , it seems ECU adapted and exhaust note got louder almost as before (I am still convinced it is a bit less than with OEM filter, maybe because of the size?).

Overall seems like it did no harm to performance and could have helped with low end torque and raspier tone on high rpm. I am not sure a dyno would be able to pick up such as small performance difference as 3-5HP

Maybe my dynobutt feels a lighter wallet
notech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 07:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by notech View Post

Maybe my dynobutt feels a lighter wallet
That about sums it up................