Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2006, 09:25 PM   #1

Gas-mileage expectations

Does ~17 mpg sound about right for a 2000 S? That seems to be what I'm getting..

The computer says 15.5, I figured it was being extremely conservative and maybe mis-calculating because my commute is so short (2 miles). But I did the math on the last fill-up and I'm a bit surprised. I do take it up the PCH and down to Huntington occasionally, and although I do tend to drive a bit spirited here and there (once the engine is properly warmed up of course), I never cruise above 4500 for any length of time.

Obviously everyone's styles and commuting efficiencies are different, but 17 seems ever so slightly...pathetic. Is it just me?

-David

http://www.darkoven.com/sig.jpg
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 01:59 AM   #2
Rennzenn

Garage
I've also got a 2000S, 6sp manual. My obc is usually 2-3mpg better than reality. However, I tend to get about 21-23mpg, with obc reading 23-25 or so. My commute is also about 6-8 miles, the car has 78,xxx on it.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:53 AM   #3

Your car never drives without the choke on is what we used to say.

Now I guess it is the cold-start enrichment on. You need about 5 miles before things warm up and you get to normal air/fuel mixture. Notice your temp gauge when you get to work...bet it doesn't read a full 180.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:59 AM   #4

I dont have an "S", but my standard 2000 Boxster gets in the high teens when playing, and 30 mpg cruising on the highway on long road trips. Normal driving mid to low 20's.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote