Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2021, 12:27 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 301
Garage
Clam shell weight??

The clam shell sits high and is not without weight.. Anyone found a carbon fiber variant?

Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 01:25 PM   #2
Registered User
 
jaykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 2,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert986 View Post
The clam shell sits high and is not without weight.. Anyone found a carbon fiber variant?
Robert looking for the same; the is thing is very very heavy. I have not found anything I was hoping somebody like Db carbon would make something.

By the way how is Stockholm miss that city very much!
__________________
986 00S
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 02:33 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 445
I dont know the weight of a clamshell but a soft top and its auto mechanism are much heavier if you want to save weight, likely about 50lbs. If you have not done it yet, 987 alum engine cover saves a few pounds over 986 black plastic one, not mentioning heavy carpet over it.
__________________
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Bens short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 06:16 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: KY
Posts: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert986 View Post
The clam shell sits high and is not without weight.. Anyone found a carbon fiber variant?
I wonder if you could fashion one out of lexan? I wouldn't be perfect but I'll bet it wouldn't be too bad.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
__________________
2000 Box Base, Renegade Stage 1 performance mods complete, more to come
When the owners manual says that the laws of physics can't be broken by this car, I took it as a challenge...
ike84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 04:46 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Clifton, NJ
Posts: 1,058
They make fiberglass versions. Saves about 7lbs as i recall it
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 08:01 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 301
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Robert looking for the same; the is thing is very very heavy. I have not found anything I was hoping somebody like Db carbon would make something.

By the way how is Stockholm miss that city very much!
Thanks Jaykay, good to hear Im not the only one thinking of this..

Stockholm is just great, have you lived here or what? Let me know when you are around and Ill give you a Boxster-ride and a cold one!
Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 11:23 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 301
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxstard View Post
I dont know the weight of a clamshell but a soft top and its auto mechanism are much heavier if you want to save weight, likely about 50lbs. If you have not done it yet, 987 alum engine cover saves a few pounds over 986 black plastic one, not mentioning heavy carpet over it.
Yes, I realize that the soft top and stuff are heavy, but I want to keep those for every day driving. I do use the 987 engine cover, saves 1.7 kg on my scales :-)
Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 07:58 AM   #8
Registered User
 
jaykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 2,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert986 View Post
Thanks Jaykay, good to hear Im not the only one thinking of this..

Stockholm is just great, have you lived here or what? Let me know when you are around and Ill give you a Boxster-ride and a cold one!
Will do! I have friends and family there! Miss it very much !
__________________
986 00S
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 01:54 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert986 View Post
Yes, I realize that the soft top and stuff are heavy, but I want to keep those for every day driving. I do use the 987 engine cover, saves 1.7 kg on my scales :-)
You can still ditch the motor and transmission gears for the soft top, make it manual. I got my soft top removed and now driving with speedster humps, like the lightness but I know this is not ideal for daily driving, I need to fix my torn plastic window.
__________________
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Bens short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 07:05 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 301
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxstard View Post
You can still ditch the motor and transmission gears for the soft top, make it manual. I got my soft top removed and now driving with speedster humps, like the lightness but I know this is not ideal for daily driving, I need to fix my torn plastic window.
Very true, however the electric top is the only luxury I got left, its a bit hard to give this up.. If it was a pure track car it would be a no brainer! I kind of like to eat the cookie, and keep it :-)

Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page