Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2021, 10:52 AM   #1

Aftermarket exhaust

I just got my boxster running after replacing the engine and it sounds awesome with the muffler off. Just wondering if anyone has tried the Agency Power . I want a good sound but not so loud that I can’t enjoy the radio . Any suggestions? Thanks

evtechnician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 09:29 AM   #2

All the aftermarket exhaust setups are loud, much louder than stock. Some guys have done postcat deletes to get a bit more grumble but keep the muffler. There are also the options of drilling or removing the internal baffles from the stock muffler, or the fister bypass setup.

BTW, AP products are way overpriced IMO. Theyre no different in pipe design that the cheapo stuff on amazon or ebay.
Old 08-18-2021, 01:55 AM   #3
ISSIMI

Radio lol? Dude that flat 6 is all the music you need.

No muffler to me is just obnoxious. I think if i wanted something reasonably "quiet" I'd keep the stock muffler and install catless/hi-flow headers and secondary's.

Last edited by Most_Wanted; 08-18-2021 at 01:59 AM.
Most_Wanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 02:11 PM   #4

I have the cat back free flow's and a top speed exhaust,sounds Great until 2800-3200 cruising speed and man the droning is really Bad, I will eventually do the Fister system..I'am saving my pennies,.!
flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 04:44 PM   #5

The very first mod I did to my car was tondeill out the internal bafflesnof the muffler. Even with such a minor modification there was a drone.

I had my car straight piped for a while earlier this year. Don't do it. It's too loud. Like permanent hearing damage loud. I had to wear gun muffs while driving and it was still loud.

Interestingly, even straight piped, there's a drone. Like a crazy loud one. 2500-3000 rpm.

My conclusion here is this - there's a reason Porsche made a boat anchor of ankuffler for these cars - its the only way to cancel out the drone. The drone is inherent to the m96. I don't know what they did in the 996, but anything other than the factory muffler will reveal the drone.

Now, whether keeping the stock muffler and going with catless headers will do this also, I'm not sure. But I think that's the only possible modification that wouldn't produce the drone. Maybe someone who has done that can chime in.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2021, 10:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
My conclusion here is this - there's a reason Porsche made a boat anchor of ankuffler for these cars - its the only way to cancel out the drone. The drone is inherent to the m96. I don't know what they did in the 996, but anything other than the factory muffler will reveal the drone. Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Ike, I had a SpeedArt exhaust (same MFR as the Brombacher units (loud version) on my 6sp 987 for a few years and I had 'zero drone' and loved the sound of it.

It was a bit pricey but the German quality was noticeable, also it was way lighter than the OEM unit.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 10:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Ike, I had a SpeedArt exhaust (same MFR as the Brombacher units (loud version) on my 6sp 987 for a few years and I had 'zero drone' and loved the sound of it.

It was a bit pricey but the German quality was noticeable, also it was way lighter than the OEM unit.
That's interesting. Is the drone an issue with other exhausts on the 987 motors?

Old 08-23-2021, 10:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
That's interesting. Is the drone an issue with other exhausts on the 987 motors?

Yes...........
Old 08-23-2021, 05:52 PM   #9

I have the FVD Brombacher "Sound" version of the exhaust and love it. Not annoying or loud. There is some drone between 2500 - 3000rpm but nothing that will drive anyone mad. I just did a 1200 mile roadtrip on it and it was fine.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 12:27 PM   #10

It may sound silly but I dont mind the drone either. Since it occurs in the rev range where the cam adjustment actuators kick in, the drone just reminds me to drop a gear and get my ass moving
Old 08-24-2021, 05:09 PM   #11

Likewise

If drone bothers you, you dun goofed and bought the wrong car. Sell it to us for cheap and get a Lexus or something.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 06:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by evtechnician View Post
I just got my boxster running after replacing the engine and it sounds awesome with the muffler off. Just wondering if anyone has tried the Agency Power. I want a good sound but not so loud that I can’t enjoy the radio . Any suggestions? Thanks
This is the muffler that you should buy. No drone.

https://www.fvd.net/us-en/210111BOS/sport-muffler-986-boxster-boxster-s-2000-04-stainless-steel-dual-3-76-mm-tips.html

Dave80GTSi is offline   Reply With Quote