Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2021, 11:23 AM   #1

Relay Help. 12V supply but only 7v out..I don't get it

Let me preface this question with the fact that this car has 0 factory electronics or anything else for that matter. So this is more of a basic electrical question than a Boxster question.

I am trying to start my audi V8 swap and have spark but I only have 7V at the injectors which is preventing them from operating. I've traced the power back to the relay that is powering them and I am seeing 7V out of the relay as well. Oddly, both the signal and power coming into the relay are 12V and the ground is ohm'ing out at 0 ohms (the ground is good). I moved it just to be sure. I thought the relay was bad so I swapped it out and have the same result...12V in and 7V out... Any ideas on what witchcraft is at play here?

truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 06:09 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegearhead View Post
Let me preface this question with the fact that this car has 0 factory electronics or anything else for that matter. So this is more of a basic electrical question than a Boxster question.

I am trying to start my audi V8 swap and have spark but I only have 7V at the injectors which is preventing them from operating. I've traced the power back to the relay that is powering them and I am seeing 7V out of the relay as well. Oddly, both the signal and power coming into the relay are 12V and the ground is ohm'ing out at 0 ohms (the ground is good). I moved it just to be sure. I thought the relay was bad so I swapped it out and have the same result...12V in and 7V out... Any ideas on what witchcraft is at play here?
What type of relay after you using?

Some relays are designed to down step the voltage to ~5v to run low power accessories like lights. If you are sure your relay is not malfunctioning, sounds like you need a different (12v out ) relay.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Old 08-05-2021, 10:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
What type of relay after you using?

Some relays are designed to down step the voltage to ~5v to run low power accessories like lights. If you are sure your relay is not malfunctioning, sounds like you need a different (12v out ) relay.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Turns out it was programming error...anyways I uploaded the new config fire and THE CAR runs!

truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote