Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2002, 06:12 PM   #1
Forum Contributor

Angry 996 Transplant into Boxster

Anyone interested in doing this task, please feel free to email me as I have now done 6 of these. IT IS NOT EASY!! I can save you some serious heartache by guiding you around some some major pitfalls. Well worth the time, as the cars just scream!

John
http://www.gt3fx.com

gt3fx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 06:15 PM   #2
JT
Administrator and Founder

The sales person I work with in Bellingham Wa just ordered a boxster for a client with those intentions. You may want to contact him. His name is David Tucker and he is at Roger Jobs motors.
Old 12-15-2002, 04:58 PM   #3
Unregistered

So what's involved assuming an early (non e-gas) 996 motor and similar 986... Slightly thicker motor mounts, tweaked exhaust, and reflashed ECU?
Old 12-15-2002, 05:18 PM   #4

Some details would be nice.

Specifically, how do you stuff a 996 (3.4 or 3.6?) into a 986?

Do you have to make major mods to the suspension and engine compartment?

What about the tranny? Can it handle the extra liters?

What are the specs for the motor you put in?

And of course, what is the outcome -- i.e., what kind of performance will the boxster get?

Also, looking at your pics, which are really cool -- what type of headlights are in this car? They do not look like stock 986/996 Litronics (larger fogs, or running lights??).
ehljags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 10:32 PM   #5
gt3fx

Mods details

First of all, if you use a 97 car, you'll have to use the boxster brain and have it recurved. If you use a 98-2000 car. you use the brain that comes with the motor. If you use an e-pedal motor, just replace the cable pedal with an e-pedal. The reason has to do with pin locations on the ECU for the smog related parts on the cars. They changed them in 98.

The trans is fine, no changes necessary, but the EVO flywheel is a nice upgrade!

Custom motor mounts are necessary as the motor is too tall.

Turning the intake 180 degrees also means altering the fuel rail logs mounts.

You'll also need a different air cleaner duct for the mass air flow to see the correct air density. EVO motorsports now makes a nice bolt in for both 3.6 and 3.4 liter motors.

At high revs you WILL pop the oil filler flex tube and develop an oil leak. The best solution is to add an oil vapor vent control unit up under the passenger side rear. Whenever you change the oil, drain this unit and you are good to go. Most any racing supply will a version that works.

The lights are Hella racing units for the GT3-RS Le Mans and Super Cup cars. The only work in my type of fender as you need an enclosure integral to the fender, stock units won't fit.

For more info see the november issue of 911/Porsche World
Old 12-16-2002, 01:50 AM   #6

Cool Nology

Checked your site. Quite the car there. Interestingly I found your link to NOLOGY.

I worked for a few weeks once for NOLOGY when I was out of work a few years ago and needed something to tide me over.

mjbliemel is offline   Reply With Quote