Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2021, 08:21 AM   #1

Garage
Drive shaft outer (CV joint) boots - change while on the car?

While preparing to remove my engine I noticed that the CV inner boots are starting to develop surface cracks so I will change them and I would like to do the outer boots also. Searching on the topic I saw in several places that it is suggested that it is not possible to change the outer boot because the outer CV joint cannot be removed. This is incorrect as you can see in Pedro's DYI, you just slide the new boot on from the inside end of the shaft:
Replace the CVJ Boots & Half Axles
This is easy to do when the axle is out of the car, but I already have the car up in the air with the suspension braces removed so cannot put the wheels on the floor in order to loosen the outer axle bolt (that is torques to something like 340 ft/lb). I wonder if it is possible to change the outer boot with the axle in place. It looks like there is enough clearance to slide the boot on and get the clamp in place. The down side is that it would be almost impossible to re-grease the CV joint. Has anyone tried this?

1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 10:31 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgyqc View Post
While preparing to remove my engine I noticed that the CV inner boots are starting to develop surface cracks so I will change them and I would like to do the outer boots also. Searching on the topic I saw in several places that it is suggested that it is not possible to change the outer boot because the outer CV joint cannot be removed. This is incorrect as you can see in Pedro's DYI, you just slide the new boot on from the inside end of the shaft:
Replace the CVJ Boots & Half Axles
This is easy to do when the axle is out of the car, but I already have the car up in the air with the suspension braces removed so cannot put the wheels on the floor in order to loosen the outer axle bolt (that is torques to something like 340 ft/lb). I wonder if it is possible to change the outer boot with the axle in place. It looks like there is enough clearance to slide the boot on and get the clamp in place. The down side is that it would be almost impossible to re-grease the CV joint. Has anyone tried this?
You don't need the wheels on the ground to loosen the axle bolt.
Have someone hold the brake pedal down then use an impact wrench or long breaker bar to loosen the axle nut.
The very same thing you would need to do if the wheels were on the ground.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 02:27 PM   #3

Air tools will help but not an absolute requirement. My Dewalt cordless impact didn't have a problem on the last one I pulled the axle nut off of.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 09:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stl-986 View Post
My Dewalt cordless impact didn't have a problem on the last one I pulled the axle nut off of.
Impressive!
OP, I think someone on Boxa.net posted about doing it in car recently. I remember because I’m thinking about doing it as well
986tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 06:46 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stl-986 View Post
Air tools will help but not an absolute requirement. My Dewalt cordless impact didn't have a problem on the last one I pulled the axle nut off of.
I didn't have confidence in my mastercraft 110V impact driver, but after your suggestion I gave it a try and the bolt came right off. Now the shafts don't want to come out of the hubs... so they are getting the penetrating oil treatment...
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 05:13 AM   #6

I've done it. works fine.

Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote