Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2006, 07:21 PM   #1

Oil?

I live in the Chicagoland area where weather is constantly changing, which synthetic oil weight is better 5w40,10w40 or 10w30 (redline or amsoil)???

What does the dealer recommends???

Thanks!

chgolatin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 07:47 PM   #2

Dealer recommends filling the engine with Mobil 1 0W40. It's really hard to argue with highly paid Porsche technicians and chemists.

Do a thread search on this forum for oil weight discussions or "mobil 1" and you'll see that this is one huge topic of discussion that's already been covered many times.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 11:46 PM   #3

That's annoying that 'oil' isn't allowed as a searchable term even though it seems specific enough to be useful.
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 05:50 AM   #4

Try engine or motor oil for a search.

M1 or Red Line are both GREAT oil.

The 0W-40 or 5W-40 (in the case of Red Line) are fine for all but racing applications.

Most of us DO NOT subscribe to Porsche's rec of 15 or 20K miles change intervals.

Try 7500 for a longer lived engines.

Last edited by Brucelee; 11-01-2006 at 06:50 AM.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 05:58 AM   #5

"facing" applications? Did you mean "racing"?

And please tell me I don't have to do an oil change when I take my boxster to the track for high speed driver's education!

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 11-01-2006 at 06:01 AM.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:29 AM   #6

Psst! Randall!

You have to go to a DE first before worrying about oil.

But don't worry -- I won't tell anyone.

We can talk about oil later. Off to the SEMA show again
today.

Feel free to share the suspension system of which I sent
you a picture last night. I don't know how to do that on
a forum. Or you can just tell the folks about it.

I am gathering Boxster information here. The other
things here are just peripheral subjects of interest.

I know you understand.

I'll check back in tonight....

- Mark
Houston C4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 07:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Try engine or motor oil for a search.

M1 or Red Line are both GREAT oil.

The 0W-40 or 5W-40 (in the case of Red Line) are fine for all but racing applications.

Most of us DO NOT subscribe to Porsche's rec of 15 or 20K miles change intervals.

Try 7500 for a longer lived engines.
I totally agree with Brucelee -- I'll be ordering my 07 Box S soon (my first Porsche) and will not be following their 20K oil change interval (will do the 7.5K). I currently use M1 0W-40 in my 03 Mercedes E320 and its computer tells me to change oil at approx 15K. An oil analysis indicated that the TBN was at 2.7 after 15K. I would expect the TBN to fall dangerously below 2.0 after running 20K, not to mention that the viscousity will thicken.

BTW, Blackstone labs (http://www.blackstone-labs.com) has a link to an article where a couple of guys did a comparision of M1 and Amsoil -- it's a good read. Also, M1 is a Group 4 synthetic (PAO base) while Redline is Group 5 (POE), and Castrol Syntec is a Group 3 (hydrocracked) which is the cheapest synthetic.

Please don't ask me any questions -- I'm not an oil expert -- I read about this stuff on http://www.bobistheoilguy.com oil forum where there are professional oil people.

This is a great forum -- the MB forums are depressing with everyone complaining about the lousy quality the MB's are these days.

Regards,
paul...
paulv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 07:12 AM   #8

Mark, feel free to tease me, but I have not had the confidence in my car to track it before now. I'd hate to have the car towed all the way home from College Station because of a coolant tank leak, control arm problem or whatever.

But I must thank you profusely while we're on this subject. The wifey asked me just two days ago why I had not signed up for a track day... evidently when you dropped by my office last time, you mentioned that you were headed to the track and how much safer of a driver it has made you... music to her ears!

Now she wants me to do one track event to see if it sharpens my skills and relieves some of the desire to drive fast on public roads.

Yoda man!

If I had broached the subject a couple of months ago, she would have said, "Sounds like an excuse to spend a bunch of money wearing out your tires and brakes to me."

As far as posting pix, it's real easy. Just scroll down beyond the window where you type in your reply and hit the "manage attachments" button and follow your nose. If you can drive a Porsche and work a digital camera, you can figure out how to upload pix of scantily clad SEMA auto show girls for the boys on this forum yourself!
Old 11-01-2006, 07:15 AM   #9
bmussatti

Chgolatin2, Mobil 1 0W40 is also the factory fill for Mercedes, and we have been running that oil in my wife's E320 4-Matic now the past 4 years in the Chicago weather with great results.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulv
This is a great forum -- the MB forums are depressing with everyone complaining about the lousy quality the MB's are these days.
Oddly enough, lots of new participants say the same thing about boxster owners on this forum as well.

I guess there are very few reasons to join a forum when your car is running well, needs nothing but gasoline and you're busy enjoying it vs. repairing or trying to mod it to make it faster or look better.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour

I guess there are very few reasons to join a forum when your car is running well, needs nothing but gasoline and you're busy enjoying it vs. repairing or trying to mod it to make it faster or look better.
RN,

That's very true, but I've gained a lot of info from the MB forums that greatly expanded my knowledge about those cars, and cars in general. Now, I can contribute back to them, and I hope someday, I'll be able to do the same here. Being just a "weekend mechanic", I'm always interested in broadening my mechanical abilities.

Regards,
paul....
paulv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 08:59 PM   #12

All,

i spent a lot of time today with the genuine rep-type guys from
Amsoil, Royal Purple and Mobile 1.

Asking the question about the real deal about API spec vs.
"Euro" spec oil. I want to know which to choose.

Lots of information gleaned.

Each manufacturer claims, of course, that theirs is best.

Mobil 1, though, is the one that has convinced me that
their product, the 0W-40, is the way to go.

There is more to tell, but it gets really technical. It's late
tonight (10:00 PM-- you 20 somethings just can it, okay?).

But that looks to be my bottom line, at least oil-wise.

Adios for tonight from the Rio iin Las Vegas...

- Mark

Houston C4S is offline   Reply With Quote