Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2015, 01:30 PM   #1

Cool Rubber boots

Can anyone tell me the size of the rubber boots on the coffin wishbones. I have both sides damaged and would like to replace them before all the grease comes out and they start to wear. No play at the moment, so I need to get them done soon. 2002 Boxster S.

derfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:32 PM   #2

Do you think you can find replacement ball joint boots and install them onto your old lateral suspension arms? I seem to recall they were crimped on to the lateral suspension arms, as an integrated assembly. Never heard of someone replacing just the boots on this particular assembly.

I managed to successfully remove the upper circlips from my ball joint boots, and while squeezing the boot to open up an opening below, managing to dab in fresh grease into the balljoint using a toothpick to keep the balljoints well lubricated. Rotated them 90 degrees also so they wear in different area. Getting the circlips back on was the trickiest part. Did same treatment to the tie rod ends when rebuilding my '01 Boxster's suspension that had 110k miles on it. Luckily, none of my balljoint or tie rod end boots had any rips or tears, though.

There is a neat tool that presses off (from the steering knuckle/wheel bearing carrier) the balljoint and tie rod ends without damaging the boots. If all you have is a pickle fork, definitely recommend looking into this tool!

Harbor freight sells a low cost, good quality version that needs a little grinding to fit around the Porsche ball joints, but works very well when modified this way.

Sorry I didn't answer your question, but hope this info helps.

Last edited by jakeru; 08-19-2015 at 07:34 PM.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by derfo View Post
Can anyone tell me the size of the rubber boots on the coffin wishbones. I have both sides damaged and would like to replace them before all the grease comes out and they start to wear. No play at the moment, so I need to get them done soon. 2002 Boxster S.
No chance of getting a new boot on there . Ask me how I know ?
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:53 AM   #4

Cool Wishbone boots

Thanks for your comments. I was able to get a size of the boots and order them. I will post again with the progress. In the UK if any boots on the suspension are damaged in any way it will fail the MOT (ministry of transport test) this has got to be done every year on cars over 3 years old. Its costing people a lot of money if they are not hands on.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:44 AM   #5

You can get replacement coffin arms made by Mehle for £50 pound each. I would replace the whole thing
k9dbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:16 AM   #6

Cool Rubber Boots

I have done one side , it took me 45mins. Straight forward job, the joint freed off with a couple of taps. I was then able to leaver it down to get the old boot off and the new one on.
I have just taken the nut off here.

I cleaned it up well after taking the old boot off before re-greasing

The old and new boots. The new boots were £2 each

Job done, these boots had o rings to hold them on..

Last edited by derfo; 08-26-2015 at 01:39 PM. Reason: More info
Old 08-28-2015, 01:04 AM   #7

Garage
Excellent derfo, can you post details of the UK supplier and product code or size please?

I'm in the UK too, so thank you.
Stevetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 03:15 PM   #8

Cool Rubber boots

Hello Steve, I got them off ebay UK, 160915168390 type this number in, it should get you there.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:59 PM   #9
Usercpy

Garage
Hi, i just wonder is it necessary to do wheel alignment after doing some changes/work with the coffin arm?
Old 08-28-2015, 05:37 PM   #10
Yeah, I've done that.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeching View Post
Hi, i just wonder is it necessary to do wheel alignment after doing some changes/work with the coffin arm?
Paint marks on the concentric bolts, and try to reinstall to the same marks. But that only gets you close. Still need an alignment, IMHO.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:50 PM   #11

Cool Rubber boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeching View Post
Hello, no need for alignment for the boot job. They are on a tapered shaft
Old 08-31-2015, 05:29 PM   #12
Yeah, I've done that.

Garage
Quote:
Hello, no need for alignment for the boot job. They are on a tapered shaft
Yeah, you are correct. I missed the pic that showed the OP did this work without removing the coffin arm from the car.
Old 02-11-2021, 01:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Hello Steve, I got them off ebay UK, 160915168390 type this number in, it should get you there.
Hi Derfo. Hope you're still part of the Forum. I've done a search on eBay with that part number but there aren't any results. Do you have any details about the top and bottom and height dimensions that you used for the ball joints? Have the rubber boots lasted well or not?

Tricky54 is offline   Reply With Quote