Thread: Rubber boots
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2015, 07:32 PM   #2
jakeru

Do you think you can find replacement ball joint boots and install them onto your old lateral suspension arms? I seem to recall they were crimped on to the lateral suspension arms, as an integrated assembly. Never heard of someone replacing just the boots on this particular assembly.

I managed to successfully remove the upper circlips from my ball joint boots, and while squeezing the boot to open up an opening below, managing to dab in fresh grease into the balljoint using a toothpick to keep the balljoints well lubricated. Rotated them 90 degrees also so they wear in different area. Getting the circlips back on was the trickiest part. Did same treatment to the tie rod ends when rebuilding my '01 Boxster's suspension that had 110k miles on it. Luckily, none of my balljoint or tie rod end boots had any rips or tears, though.

There is a neat tool that presses off (from the steering knuckle/wheel bearing carrier) the balljoint and tie rod ends without damaging the boots. If all you have is a pickle fork, definitely recommend looking into this tool!

Harbor freight sells a low cost, good quality version that needs a little grinding to fit around the Porsche ball joints, but works very well when modified this way.

Sorry I didn't answer your question, but hope this info helps.

Last edited by jakeru; 08-19-2015 at 07:34 PM.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote