Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2021, 07:59 PM   #1

Fuel injectors

Ok, question about fuel injectors. Part numbers for 986 up to MY2000 are different for MY2001+. I think this is the same year that the fuel rails went returnless. Does anyone know the difference between the pre and post 2000 injectors? It looks like they probably have same flow capacity but I wonder if they are pintle vs 4 head? The cost difference is insane ($100 rebuilt vs $34 new) for old vs new style and I am wondering if they are interchangable. The wiring harness hookup looks the same, but body of injectors are slightly different. Anyone out there looked into this already, or maybe had already performed the swap? Thanks, Ike.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

Old 01-23-2021, 07:27 PM   #2

Here what I've been able to find out so far

The later bosch product is 240cc/min @ 3 bar multiport 4 nozzle 12 ohm injector. Meh numbers, it's there little brother in the same series as used in the turbo and gt2.

The earlier porsche part - nothing! Absolutely nothing. It's not in the workshop manual. It's not in PET, there aren't even any specs listed on GB reman's catalogue (the co who refurbs them)

The one thing I can tell is that the mounting rings look like the same size and the electrical connectors look the same, so the test well be plug and play (and watch lambda closely lol)

This should be interesting...

Old 05-27-2021, 03:49 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
Here what I've been able to find out so far

The later bosch product is 240cc/min @ 3 bar multiport 4 nozzle 12 ohm injector. Meh numbers, it's there little brother in the same series as used in the turbo and gt2.

The earlier porsche part - nothing! Absolutely nothing. It's not in the workshop manual. It's not in PET, there aren't even any specs listed on GB reman's catalogue (the co who refurbs them)

The one thing I can tell is that the mounting rings look like the same size and the electrical connectors look the same, so the test well be plug and play (and watch lambda closely lol)

This should be interesting...

Did you ever try the newer injectors in an older engine (say 2.7l injectors in a 2.5)?
Dllrd23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 03:54 AM   #4

Yes, the new bosch injectors required a small modification, takes 5 min per injector and a Dremel. I posted a write up in the diy section. They work flawlessly though