Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2020, 11:33 AM   #1

01E transmission in Boxster (trans mounts)

I have an 01E transmission that I was hoping to swap into my Boxster but it doesn't look like the boxster transmission mounting arms will work. I've read a couple write ups on this swap and they never mentioned this problem. Am I missing something, can the stock Boxster transmission mounting arms work?

truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 04:54 AM   #2

Where did you see someone put an 01E in a boxster?
Old 12-16-2020, 09:10 AM   #3

Now that I'm looking at this again maybe its not a 01E, maybe its some other kind of audi transmission

Audi transmission Swap DIY Thread
truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 04:13 AM   #4

Every 01E trans I've seen has an aluminum bellhousing and an iron case. In Europe you could get them in 2wd but they only came in AWD over here. I believe the 944 came with one but it's almost a completely different transmission because of its configuration.
Old 12-20-2020, 05:50 PM   #5
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
A couple years ago I tried to find an 01E that would work. I found out there is a lot of sub-models and variation. None of the ones I found looked like a direct swap without fabrication for the mounts or shift linkage.

The 5-speed FWD transmissions from the Audi B5 chassis 1.8T models ('97 to '01 A4) are the transmissions that look like the easy swap.
Old 12-20-2020, 08:29 PM   #6
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
...and I found an old bookmark I had for this: B5 A4 01E Swap Info Thread

Some of the info on that swap may be of use if you already have the transmission and want to give it a try.

Also, you may want to chat with AngryCorvair on the GRM Forum. He put an Audi 6MT in 'Monzora' and had to fab all the linkage. I bet he'd love to help out.
Old 01-06-2021, 05:56 AM   #7

The audi tranny swaps from the fwd a4s are actually an 01a transmission, not an 01e. The 5 speed in our cars is a variant of 01a, which is why that works so well. 01e's were never put into porsches but are f*'ing awesome transmissions if you can find them and mount them. If yours truly is an 01e and you need help with it, email scotty at advancedautomotion. He is probably the most knowledgeable guy in north america when it comes to these transmissions.

If the 01e won't work, you may want to consider a cayman transmission. This is a variant of the 01x, which is nearly as strong as the 01e (will hold upwards of 500hp) and most say it is smoother shofting and less "notchy" although i have no personal experience with either. If you are looking to sell the 01e, post it on a gt40 build site. Those guys will eat it up.

Now, you may be asking yourself - "how does this guy know all this stuff?" The answer actually is YOU!

Your post about the w12 created an itch in my brain that has lasted for nearly 2 months now and has led me down so many rabbit holes regarding motors, transmissions, turbo, ecu setups I've lost track lol. I respect the gusto to transplant an abz and set it up with twin turbo. I'm sure you already know this but nefarious motorsports and audizine are repositories of knowledge (and minimal idiocy) on these motors. Good luck to you!

ike84 is offline   Reply With Quote