Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2006, 10:32 PM   #1

Red face Brand new, and have a ? on cat converter for 2000 boxster

Hi everyone. I'm brand new here. Actually, I'm brand new to forums, but a friend of mine suggested this would be the best way to get advice.
I recently bought a 2000 Boxster at 64,900 miles. I have driven it for a month and it now has 67,400 miles. (yeah, quite a lot of driving on my part). Anyways, the engine light came on, and turns out I need to replace BOTH catalytic converters and FOUR O2 sensors. Dealer is charging $3000 for parts alone. I can only imagine what service will be. Now, the deal is, if I'm paying that much, can I get an aftermarket product that won't blow up my engine or anything like that?
Am I covered under warranty at all? Are there any performance exhaust systems worth looking into for the same price range?
Any help on this would be awesome.

yortivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 04:38 AM   #2

Unfortunate...

Hey Yortivo,

Welcome to the board. I'll try to help where I can.

Unfortunately, on the MY00 you have the first of the 4 cat systems. I believe the US Fed mandates a warrenty of 50K miles for emissions equipement and my understanding is this is the limit of the Porsche warranty as well. However, it can't hurt to ask your dealer. Also, while you are at it, I'm curious why only 2 of the 4 cats have gone bad. Did the dealership mention weather it was the primary metallic or secondary ceramic cats? I only ask because for 3K in parts, you have a lot of aftermarket options.

Dansk and FVD make good quality 100cell metallic cats, cat bypass systems and headers that maybe worth the investment to you. I know that if you contact a sales rep through either www.************************************************************ or www.fvd.us and tell them your situation, you can likely get a discount from the published prices. To take advantage of this to the fullest, you will likely need to reprogram your DME so you won't get a low efficieny light.

Let me know where your specific issue is and I'll try to help steer you in a reliable direction.

Good luck,

--ts
racer_troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:10 PM   #3

Check the codes first

Welcome Yortivo!

Before having the Stealer or I meant dealer service your car. You might want to find out what engine codes you got for your CEL from the dealer. If your dealer doesn't provide them to you and your CEL is still lit. Go over to Autozone and they can plug in a OBD II code reader and read your codes for free. Possibly someone on this board or on the Renntech.org board can point you in the right direction with your codes.

I would doubt that you would have to replace the cats after less than 70K on your Boxster. I've gotten CEL and codes were 1128 & 1130. I went ahead and cleaned the MAF and cleared the codes with Durametric software. I haven't gotten CEL in months.

I hope that helps....

- Ray
Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 10:42 PM   #4

Thanks Troy.
I will call the mechanic tomorrow to ask him exactly what's going on. I remember him mentioning 4 02 sensors that needed replacement, and that both cats had to be replaced. I'm not sure about all the other stuff, but I will find out. Also, this might seem like an amateur question, but are catalytic converters the same as exhausts? I'm searching on various sites, and prices vary tremendously. Like a Borla exhaust for $1200 or so. My mechanic said the OEM cats would cost me $2000 at dealer prices. Is that right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_troy
Hey Yortivo,

Welcome to the board. I'll try to help where I can.

Unfortunately, on the MY00 you have the first of the 4 cat systems. I believe the US Fed mandates a warrenty of 50K miles for emissions equipement and my understanding is this is the limit of the Porsche warranty as well. However, it can't hurt to ask your dealer. Also, while you are at it, I'm curious why only 2 of the 4 cats have gone bad. Did the dealership mention weather it was the primary metallic or secondary ceramic cats? I only ask because for 3K in parts, you have a lot of aftermarket options.

Dansk and FVD make good quality 100cell metallic cats, cat bypass systems and headers that maybe worth the investment to you. I know that if you contact a sales rep through either www.************************************************************ or www.fvd.us and tell them your situation, you can likely get a discount from the published prices. To take advantage of this to the fullest, you will likely need to reprogram your DME so you won't get a low efficieny light.

Let me know where your specific issue is and I'll try to help steer you in a reliable direction.

Good luck,

--ts
Old 10-25-2006, 10:44 PM   #5

I will definitely find out those codes this week. Hopefully, I don't have to replace anything. Thanks for your help. I will post again as soon as I find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster
Welcome Yortivo!

Before having the Stealer or I meant dealer service your car. You might want to find out what engine codes you got for your CEL from the dealer. If your dealer doesn't provide them to you and your CEL is still lit. Go over to Autozone and they can plug in a OBD II code reader and read your codes for free. Possibly someone on this board or on the Renntech.org board can point you in the right direction with your codes.

I would doubt that you would have to replace the cats after less than 70K on your Boxster. I've gotten CEL and codes were 1128 & 1130. I went ahead and cleaned the MAF and cleared the codes with Durametric software. I haven't gotten CEL in months.

I hope that helps....

- Ray