Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2020, 08:51 AM   #1
Will there be cake?

Garage
Exhaust compatibility 986 base and S

Looking at buying a stock exhaust, midpipes, Bends and muffler from an 01 2.7 base for 01 3.2 S. The system looks identical, us it the same exhaust?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:18 AM   #2
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
Looking at buying a stock exhaust, midpipes, Bends and muffler from an 01 2.7 base for 01 3.2 S. The system looks identical, us it the same exhaust?

No. It'll bolt-up, but not the same. The S muffler is different from the base models. (twin tips, a little louder from a little less restriction)

I think the mid-pies from the early cars (pre '00) have a smaller bolt-circle at the header-flange, even though it's the same diameter pipe. this shouldn't be a problem with the '01 parts.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:30 AM   #3
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
No. It'll bolt-up, but not the same. The S muffler is different from the base models. (twin tips, a little louder from a little less restriction)

I think the mid-pies from the early cars (pre '00) have a smaller bolt-circle at the header-flange, even though it's the same diameter pipe. this shouldn't be a problem with the '01 parts.
to be clear, bolts up and works, no CEL and such, just a little more restrictive?
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 10:16 AM   #4
Who's askin'?

Quote:
to be clear, bolts up and works, no CEL and such, just a little more restrictive?
Well, I've never done it.... but yes.
The midpipes and u-pipes are exactly the same. All sensors are prior to the muffler, of course.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2021, 07:12 PM   #5

Maytag is right, they are the same up until the mufflers but all bolt patterns and tube diameter is the same. Out of curiosity why are you doing this? The main advantage of the S system is sound (porsche's words, not mine) and there are certainly a lot of ways to soon that cat. Performance is not different - both systems are horrible restrictive.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2021, 07:34 AM   #6

Has anybody installed a black horse catback exhaust on a base or s?
JC98602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:03 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:

Just to clarify every inch of the 3.2 exhaust has a larger ID than a 2.7 from primary cats to Muffler inlet pipes.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:09 AM   #8
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Just to clarify every inch of the 3.2 exhaust has a larger ID than a 2.7 from primary cats to Muffler inlet pipes.
In my experience, (probably less than yours) the I.D. of the pipe is the same, only the bolt-circle (triangle, haha) is different. I've pieced-together MANY exhaust components from MANY cars, 3.2, 2.7, even some aftermarket stuff intended for 2.5, and they ALL have the same pipe diameter. Again; only the flange differs... possibly fooling some into thinking the pipe diameter is also different.

again; I'm sure you have much more experience than I do with this, but I have 'some' myself.
Old 01-13-2021, 12:57 PM   #9

Quote:
In my experience, (probably less than yours) the I.D. of the pipe is the same, only the bolt-circle (triangle, haha) is different. I've pieced-together MANY exhaust components from MANY cars, 3.2, 2.7, even some aftermarket stuff intended for 2.5, and they ALL have the same pipe diameter. Again; only the flange differs... possibly fooling some into thinking the pipe diameter is also different.
Yes, I fully agree with this.

I started a thread about this exact subject a while ago; a Search will bring it forth for those who wish to see the pictures.
Dave80GTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:16 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:

again; I'm sure you have much more experience than I do with this, but I have 'some' myself.
I.D.= inside diameter
Old 01-14-2021, 02:04 PM   #11
Who's askin'?

Quote:
I.D.= inside diameter
That's correct. Yes.

???

Old 01-14-2021, 08:25 PM   #12
Who's askin'?

Quote:
I.D.= inside diameter
Is there perhaps a LESS cryptic response you'd care to give?

Old 01-18-2021, 04:28 AM   #13

muffler-East coast

Tony: I'm near Boston and have a lightly used 986 muffler but no longer have a 986. tlc356 at verizon dot net

tlc356 is offline   Reply With Quote