Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2020, 10:07 PM   #1

Cost of AOS Replacement Confusion. HELP

Hello everybody,

Just ordered AOS and blue clamp for my 99 Boxter. Online item is called an oil seperator. Same part? I am confused about why there is a wide range of cost that I have been quoted by mobile mechanics / shops. I have the 101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxter and it states this is a 2 hour job. Shop in town wants $1000 labor plus cost of part. Mobile mechanic wants to charge $500.00 labor. I don't want to be ripped off. Some say very easy job other's say pita. Thx.

mungodrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 04:44 AM   #2

Double posting isn't a good idea as it splits the potential responses and discussion. Best to have it all done in one place. This section would have been the proper place to post, but most people probably read the general discussion area 1st, so that's where responses will appear. People would see your post here if you'd only posted here.

Boxster problems can sometimes seem like the end of the world is just a step away, but a little planning before posting a thread can go a long way to a successful response.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 08-23-2020 at 04:47 AM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 06:12 AM   #3
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

You only need a few tools for this job.

I changed the AOS on my 98 with zero Pirsche repair experience. I did plenty... plenty... plenty of reading... watched some vids... and decided to tackle it from under the car (remove passenger rear wheel) and above the engine. I would say the job is a 3 out of 10. What most you will need is patience. That's it.

You tackle that job... see how easy it is to save $500-$1000 and you'll wonder why you even considered the shop. You've got everything you need: The AOS anbd that clamp.

However... if you've the updated AOS you're going to need the updated hose/tube that crosses the top of the engine... the one running from the AOS to the TB.

When you go to remove the old AOS (We know you're going to tackle this job) just cut off the litle hose at the botom of the AOS (The one you're going to be replacing... the one for whic you'll use the new clip with the blue thing). I've read about guys that spend a crazy amount of time trying to remove the clamp of that bottom hose and when they're done... they just throw away the hose. So...

If you're going to throw away that tired old hose... just cut it off.

Bet you could tackle the entire job is a couple hours... maybe including jacking up the car... removing wheel.

The next time I have to replace my AOS it will take me an hour, maybe an hour fifteen, and that includes jacking up the car. Me? I'm not paying $500 to $1000 for that.

First read... watch vids... then ask questions! You can do this.
Old 08-23-2020, 04:27 PM   #4
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Starter WTF is wrong with you? I feel like i'm in the Twilight Zone . To the OP he is right you can do this.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 03:01 AM   #5
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
Starter WTF is wrong with you? I feel like i'm in the Twilight Zone . To the OP he is right you can do this.
My spelling in that post was atrocious.