Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2020, 02:42 PM   #1

how longs does the spherical bearings last...?

I had the Tarett sway bar links and also the Rennline F/R toe links on my 987CS for a few years (maybe 10-15k miles..?) and thereafter I installed them on the 981CS.

A few months ago I noticed a faint rattling on the rear axle (my wife complains that it sounds like an old car..), got the car on ramps and started poking with a rubber mallet and when I tap on the driver side toe link I am able to replicate the rattling, checked and all the bolts are tight therefore the spherical bearings may be on their way out.

Do you believe that the spherical (Aurora..?) bearings are dead and need to be replaced? How long are these usually last?

PS: This is my first time using adjustable links therefore I don't have much experience with their life span..

Last edited by Gilles; 08-22-2020 at 02:45 PM.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 04:40 PM   #2

This is the slippery slope you travel when you go solid/spherical. Once you start to have any play, rattle, it is time to replace.

Same goes for all Porsche solid, tie rods, links, control arms etc.

I've had various spherical pieces last years to one event. Driving on the street kills them quickly.

Suggest NHBB as a replacement - in my hands they seem to last the longest but YMMV.
SPB #50
MaxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxD View Post
This is the slippery slope you travel when you go solid/spherical. Once you start to have any play, rattle, it is time to replace.
Suggest NHBB as a replacement - in my hands they seem to last the longest but YMMV.
Max, NHBB = New Hampshire Ball Bearings..?
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 01:20 PM   #4

I have had spherical bearing toelinks installed for years.....but the car never sees winter. I also have boots covering them so this may prevent grit ingress and wear
Old 08-23-2020, 01:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Max, NHBB = New Hampshire Ball Bearings..?
Yes, that's correct.
SPB #50
MaxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 04:42 AM   #6
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
I have had spherical bearing toelinks installed for years.....but the car never sees winter. I also have boots covering them so this may prevent grit ingress and wear
Some here. Admittedly the mileage has not been high over the 5+ years and it doesn't see a lot of we or salty weather. I had Fluoros.

edc is offline   Reply With Quote