Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2020, 08:11 AM   #1

Question Best Shop Manual for 2001 986??

New to the Forum.
Just bought a 2001 986 with a blown engine. I know it may be a money pit
Looking for the best shop manual for all-around use and engine detail.
Any recommendations? I've seen the Bentley version but comments seem to be that it's lacking on engine details.
Feedback would be great!!

aszelasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:32 AM   #2

The factory service manual set, now out of print, ran some thirteen three ring binders, not including the OBD II manual. You can still find them for sale from time to time, and they are by far the most detailed. Several people are selling a PDF file of the 1998 manual, without any updates, which makes it questionable for a 2001 car. None of the factory service manuals will help you with a blown engine as Porsche never published engine internal data such as torque specs or clearance information. For that, probably the best source is Jake Raby's engine school DVD set for around $500.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 08-18-2020 at 08:34 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 07:26 AM   #3

Thumbs up Thanks for the advise

Thanks for the quick response and advice.
Should be a fun project.
aszelasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 04:50 PM   #4
Will there be cake?

Garage
I will second the Bentley manual's shortcomings, as I find the 101 projects book and youtube a better reference for the stuff I've undertaken through the years. The Bentley is good for wiring diagrams and such.
Ill swap an engine or transmission without concern...I'm not rebuilding them. Anyway, from what I've seen, Jake Raby's engine school DVD set seems to be the only engine rebuild guidance out there.
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 04:52 PM   #5
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
The factory service manual set, now out of print, ran some thirteen three ring binders, not including the OBD II manual. You can still find them for sale from time to time, and they are by far the most detailed. Several people are selling a PDF file of the 1998 manual, without any updates, which makes it questionable for a 2001 car. None of the factory service manuals will help you with a blown engine as Porsche never published engine internal data such as torque specs or clearance information. For that, probably the best source is Jake Raby's engine school DVD set for around $500.
show off...there, I said it.

tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shop manual