Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2004, 12:40 PM   #1

Radio has skip after start, anybody else?

I've had my 2002 Boxster about a month. After starting the car, sometimes backing in driveway or a block away the radio has a very brief miss, like a heartbeat, and after that works fine. The dealer replaced the radio, but the probem has not been solved. Has anybody else experienced this, and if so, what was the fix.
Tom

tlc356sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 12:59 PM   #2
Watch Freak

Tom, never happened to me but if the radio was replaced and it did not remedy the problem, it sounds like a possible electrical lead to the radio may be the cause. Have the dealer test it with you on a test drive and perhaps they can locate a faulty wire or connection. Also, try to observe the radio at the time it happens to see if it is related to losing the music or the power to the unit. This will help narrow the fault between a lead to the unit or a lead to the speaker or amplifier.

Let us know what happens.
2006 BMW 750i 19" Sport Wheels BK/BK-Daily
2005 Lotus Elise Sport & Touring Package-Fun
2001 Lexus RX300-Back-up Winter Beater
2001 Mercedes-Benz S500 Sport AMG-Sold
2000 Boxster S Heavily Modified-Sold
2000 Nissan Altima GLE-Parking Spot Holder
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Stryke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 04:51 AM   #3

I have a similar problem on my 03 Boxster. The CDR23 radio/cd skips shortly after the car is started. I have also noticed it will skip when the lights are turned on or the foglights turned on. Took it to the dealer and they are gonna replace the radio. One other thing is, I have had the unit lock up where none of the controls will work but the cd will be playing. The controls won't respond except the power button, which I can use to power off and when I power back up it seems to be okay. During this lockup there is a TP, a down arrow, and a backwards like E on the display. All in all it is very strange. I hope swapping the radio out works.
steval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 01:41 PM   #4

Steval: I have not used the CD yet, but will do so to see if that also causes the problem. I have not noticed it with the lights, but have only had the car a month. If your radio swap does not fix it (as mine did not) we may have a similar issue. From your location I see you are in the cold too. Mine may come on more often in very cold weather, but then again thats about all we've had for the last month anyway.
Stryke's suggestion to see if the power goes off is a good one. I've been trying that before driving because its too breif to catch while driving, but no luck yet. Tom
Old 03-10-2004, 08:14 AM   #5

Tom,

I had my radio replaced and the "skip" is still there. I have it happen sometimes when I am backing out of my driveway and the car is cold. Also when I turn on lights. I have not noticed it when the car is warmed up. Now my dealer wants to keep my car for a week to do extensive troubleshooting. I will let you know when I find out anything more. It is strange that we both have it happen when the car is backing up. It doesn't seem like anything electrical should be going on then.

Steve
Old 03-10-2004, 08:29 AM   #6

Since my radio swap out also failed to fix it, I think we both have the same bug (my radio is also the CDR). Now that the weather has improved, the problem seems to show up less frequently.

When backing up, or starting out, there could be electrical "action" taking place that is related to the heating system, for example, or something else that could possibly be the cause. Lets hope that some sort of data recording will pick it up and identify the source.

Let me know what happens. Tom

Last edited by tlc356sc; 03-10-2004 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:53 AM   #7
Watch Freak

Just one point to keep in mind. Your reverse gear triggers the reverse lights to come on and therefore is electrical. I know the reverse lights should typically not affect the radio, but they are part of the electrical system so just something to keep in mind.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:07 AM   #8

I took the reverse lights into consideration, but the skip seems to happen after the car is in reverse and in the process of backing up to the end of my driveway or into the street. So I have ruled out the lights as being a factor. Hopefully the dealer will figure it out during the week he will have it.

Steve
Old 03-10-2004, 12:15 PM   #9
Watch Freak

Ahhhh, must be asphaltic polarity then!
Old 03-11-2004, 03:04 PM   #10

And if that damned reverse light is making my radio "blip" in first gear I'm really worried. Definitely sounds like asphaltic polarity, or atmospheric. Tom
Old 03-12-2004, 09:00 AM   #11

A guy on Porsche Pete's board said he had the same problem and the fix was to replace the amplifier. I have an appt on the 22nd to have minie swapped out. Will let you know how I make out.
Steve
Old 03-12-2004, 10:35 AM   #12

I got an email reply from the fellow on PBB. He said "they replaced the amp in the front trunk and checked some wiriing attached to it. Haven't had the problem since..."
I'll wait till you get yours out of the shop. Tom