Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2020, 03:16 PM   #1

ECU needed for ABS to function?

I’m working on an Audi 4.2l engine swap and am thinking about removing the Boxster engine harness and ecu. Does anyone know if the ABS will still function?

truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 04:31 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegearhead View Post
I’m working on an Audi 4.2l engine swap and am thinking about removing the Boxster engine harness and ecu. Does anyone know if the ABS will still function?
Gee, you are a menace with all the extra time in your hands ...

I believe that this COVID19 pandemic will be pretty expensive for you, but I am following very close your activity... and would not be surprised at all that you will have a nice running 4.2 engine pretty soon, congratulations :-)
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 05:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Gee, you are a menace with all the extra time in your hands ...

I believe that this COVID19 pandemic will be pretty expensive for you, but I am following very close your activity... and would not be surprised at all that you will have a nice running 4.2 engine pretty soon, congratulations :-)
Haha expensive indeed and I certainly have time on my hands. My wife’s pregnant so I’m on double super secret quarantine. I spent the first months doing what felt like rebuilding the house and I’ve since turned my time to the car. If I don’t get it done in the next two months though then who knows when it’ll be done.
truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 06:13 PM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
On the 1997, I see one connection directly between the DME and ABS 5.3, a wht/brn wire "Speed RL" (rear left?) it also connects to the instrument cluster.

DME, Pin 79----- X3/1, Pin 21 ----- ABS, Pin 23
|---Cluster, II 16

My guess is that it is a signal that goes FROM the ABS unit TO the DME. I guess that because the ABS unit has input from 4 wheel speed sensors. The (1997) DME does not get any speed input directly from the wheels, it would have to be through the ABS.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:12 PM   #5

Not sure if this would work, but maybe try towing the car with the dme unplugged and see if the abs kicks in when you hit the brakes?
Old 07-08-2020, 04:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegearhead View Post
Haha expensive indeed and I certainly have time on my hands. My wife’s pregnant so I’m on double super secret quarantine.
Congratulations for the New Baby
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:37 AM   #7

I couldn't get mine to work when I built my Audi 4.2 conversion. The durametric wouldn't even talk to the module to see what the problem was. BUT it could have been that the module was fried - it was a roller chassis I put the engine in, and did not know its providence. It was a CANBUS car though, which makes it harder. Maybe an earlier system will work.

I ended up putting a Teves MK60 ABS system in the car from an e46 M3 and have been very happy with the performance.

specboxCO is offline   Reply With Quote