Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2020, 04:05 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsguy View Post

It's not a matter of affording, it's a matter of philosophy.
I like Japanese motorcycles, but hate their cars.
I'm not polluting a Porsche with one of those boring things. I'd put a MB in there first. In fact, the 1.8T VW is a far better option, and will bolt to the gearbox, so that's a real possibility at some point.

hehe, I'm not gonna lie, also not to drag this topic further away from its origins, but when you said Kia it got my thinker thinking. The main reason why I chose a 4.3 for my car is cause I have a truck with that same engine. Why not use a 4G69 in my next Porsche? I love the miles my wife racks up in her car. They can take the boost, and I'm familiar with the block.

And as a side note I LOVE Honda (as long as the Honda product has wings on the emblem). I've had Honda generators, lawnmowers, motorbikes, and pressure washers, but I refuse to buy Honda products that don't have wings (ie their cars). I see Honda cars as an affront to the good Mr. Honda. Who just wanted to give post war Japanese citizens a way to power their bicycles. So I think I will now keep the tradition of NO HONDA CARS.

Back to the topic at hand:

Dude totally do that 1.8 engine. It'll be fun, powerful, light weight, and mildly reliable. You'll find parts everywhere too.

AND you'll be amazed at how big that engine bay is. You're gonna have all the room in the world to work around it. Shoot I can wrap my hands around my 4.3 when its in the engine bay.

Join us on the dark side... we have cookies

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:17 PM   #22
Racer Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsguy View Post
I'm not polluting a Porsche with one of those boring things. I'd put a MB in there first. In fact, the 1.8T VW is a far better option, and will bolt to the gearbox, so that's a real possibility at some point.
You are limiting yourself there, buddy. Hondas make more power with much better reliability than our M96 engines. But if you want to be a snob, go right ahead!

I used to have an Accord (speaking of boring cars) that was a real sleeper, because it had the 240 HP 3.0 V6 and a 6-speed manual. That was a great engine, it had made of torque but had screaming top end as well. I used to hunt for 1.8 turbo Audis, because it would just kill them. I always thought the 3.0 Honda would be a good swap for a Boxster, easily modded to get more power than the 3.2 M96, more reliable, and probably a lot lighter.

I've seen a Miata track day car with the 3.0 Honda in it, and it was a rocket. He paid $600 for the engine, and with a tune, intake, and exhaust was making 300 HP. Same story with a MR2 with a Camry V6 at a track day. He paid $500 for the 3.0 V6, and was getting 300 HP. Either of those soul-less Japanese engines will last a lot longer than a M96 while making more power.

Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote