Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2006, 05:00 AM   #1

Question Changing the antifreeze ?

I just got my Boxster and am thinking of maintenance that needs to be done in preparation for winter. I am wondering how often the antifreeze needs to be flushed and changed out? My car is a 2000 3.2 S . Is it an easy or complicated procedure ?

Silverstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 07:52 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstreak
I just got my Boxster and am thinking of maintenance that needs to be done in preparation for winter. I am wondering how often the antifreeze needs to be flushed and changed out? My car is a 2000 3.2 S . Is it an easy or complicated procedure ?

Hi,

Porsche claims their fluid is Lifetime, but it really isn't. 5 yr./150k mi. is more like it. The Porsche Fluid is very expensive, but any non-phosphate, non-silicone fluid will work such as Prestone 5/150 or Sierra. The anti-corrosive additives only live about this long.

The fluid change is not too difficult. There is no petcock to open, so the best way to drain it would be to disconnect one of the lower radiator hoses after opening the reservoir cap and opening the Bleed Valve (located under the Coolant Cap, Oil Cap, Dipstick Escutcheon). It will help to slightly raise the rear end and to do so when the coolant is still slightly warm (not Hot) to insure that the 'T'stat is open (allows Block to drain a little better).

Once drained, combine the new anti-freeze with distilled water in the proper mix. Button up the radiator, lower the car and start to slowly add coolant. Once topped off, start the car and let it run for several minutes until it's warmed. Then therottle it for a minute to 2500RPM and back to idle. Check fluid level in the reservoir and add as necessary. Let it continue to idle for several minutes to allow any air in the system to work it's way to the Bleeder Valve (open). Then close bleeder valve, replace escutcheon, check level one more time adding as necessary, then return the caps and dipstick. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:59 AM   #3

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Porsche claims their fluid is Lifetime, but it really isn't. 5 yr./150k mi. is more like it. The Porsche Fluid is very expensive, but any non-phosphate, non-silicone fluid will work such as Prestone 5/150 or Sierra. The anti-corrosive additives only live about this long.

The fluid change is not too difficult. There is no petcock to open, so the best way to drain it would be to disconnect one of the lower radiator hoses after opening the reservoir cap and opening the Bleed Valve (located under the Coolant Cap, Oil Cap, Dipstick Escutcheon). It will help to slightly raise the rear end and to do so when the coolant is still slightly warm (not Hot) to insure that the 'T'stat is open (allows Block to drain a little better).

Once drained, combine the new anti-freeze with distilled water in the proper mix. Button up the radiator, lower the car and start to slowly add coolant. Once topped off, start the car and let it run for several minutes until it's warmed. Then therottle it for a minute to 2500RPM and back to idle. Check fluid level in the reservoir and add as necessary. Let it continue to idle for several minutes to allow any air in the system to work it's way to the Bleeder Valve (open). Then close bleeder valve, replace escutcheon, check level one more time adding as necessary, then return the caps and dipstick. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Thanks for the detailed info! My car is 6 years old, so it is time.

Silverstreak is offline   Reply With Quote