Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2020, 12:47 AM   #1

3.2 inlet on a 2.5

Hi all
I have seen something strange with my '97 base 2.5 engine. Have owned the car since last summer, and has changed many parts, and hop e to get the driving experience better than new. Since this is my first Boxster, I do not know all the differences from the 2.5 to the 3.2 version yet. Some weeks ago, I changed the servo pump, and got familiar with the engine bay for some hours..
It seems that an earlier owner has changed the inlets to a 3.2 type. If I understand it correct, should my 2.5 have only one crossover tube. In my car the engine has two.
This gets me to wonder. Is this a change to the better, or should I convert it back to the original setup? The car is running quite nice and pulling good in both low and high revs today. Has only some vacuum in the oil filler tube and a little smoke sometimes. Have a new AOS on the way, who will address this I hope.

Attached are two borrowed pictures of a 3.2 engine and a 2.5.

Geir Nordvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 01:37 AM   #2

Mystery solved! Went out to the garage and opened up the engine lid again. It seems that my head is confused of all the Boxster internet studies. Mine has only one tube, and the all is good. I can now concentrate of adding further new parts to make the car as best as possible.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geir Nordvik View Post
Hi all
Has only some vacuum in the oil filler tube and a little smoke sometimes. Have a new AOS on the way, who will address this I hope.
Do you see the smoke while driving or when starting up - is there a pattern when the smoke shows up?
My car 2001 Boxter 2.7 and does smoke little at almost every start up, but only for 2-4 seconds.
Could this be a sign of AOS going bad...?
Old 04-30-2020, 07:08 AM   #4
Artist, 986S tinkerer

The flat six will often make a little smoke on startup. If it’s not a lot and if it disappears after a few seconds it’s normal. (As seen by NewArt )
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
The flat six will often make a little smoke on startup. If it’s not a lot and if it disappears after a few seconds it’s normal. (As seen by NewArt )
Great thanks
Old 04-30-2020, 01:26 PM   #6

My car can smoke but not significant at startup. If I open the oil filler cap when idle, I can hear suction. To much, I do not know. I changed the power steering pump some weeks ago. Did then take out the crossover tube. Found slightly signs of oil. So I will change my AOS, just to be sure.