Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2020, 10:16 AM   #21

Yikes...sorry I led you down the wrong road. I’ve haven’t seen this failure before. Is that an automatic transmission?

truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 03:59 PM   #22

Wow so the case broke right where the trans mount bolts up? Apologies, never thought about that. That explains the angle
Old 05-06-2020, 05:27 PM   #23
Who's askin'?

I bought a used 6-spd that had a similar failure, but it was a top mount on the passenger side.
It was welded successfully, with no problem.
It's beyond my welding capability, but a good welder could do it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 02:28 PM   #24

Something still doesn't make sense. Why would they use such a weak mounting point to hold all that weight? This didn't happen in a bubble, some other mounting point that was to hold the bulk of the weight failed and resulted in this. I just don't see them relying on such a flimsy mounting point to hold so much weight that if it fails, the motor and tranny would drop 2 inches.

Last edited by piper6909; 05-07-2020 at 02:31 PM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 07:33 PM   #25
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
Something still doesn't make sense. Why would they use such a weak mounting point to hold all that weight? This didn't happen in a bubble, some other mounting point that was to hold the bulk of the weight failed and resulted in this. I just don't see them relying on such a flimsy mounting point to hold so much weight that if it fails, the motor and tranny would drop 2 inches.
Nah, I think it makes perfect sense. It didn't fall out.... 'cuz the other bolt on top is still connected, but the break allows it to rotate substantially.
Now, with this broken I'd bet the front mount rubber is now twisted / separated, and the trans mounts are probably deformed / leaking. That's allot of movement.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:39 PM   #26

would not be surprised if the bottom of the transaxle or engine have any scrap marks..
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 02:51 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Nah, I think it makes perfect sense. It didn't fall out.... 'cuz the other bolt on top is still connected, but the break allows it to rotate substantially.
Now, with this broken I'd bet the front mount rubber is now twisted / separated, and the trans mounts are probably deformed / leaking. That's allot of movement.

Geesh, I hope they didn't really use such a weak mounting point for something as important as holding the motor and tranny up. Did you see how thin those gussets are? The breaking point is a cross-shaped break only a couple MM thick. The belt-driven accessories have beefier mounting points.

I haven't looked at mine that closely, but I would hope that this mounting point is just to augment something else that is supposed to hold all that weight and torque. And that's the part that failed or came unbolted which caused this... I hope.

The OP never said whether or not the bolt on top is still connected. I asked if it's there, but he hasn't replied.

Last edited by piper6909; 05-08-2020 at 03:03 AM.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:41 AM   #28
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
Geesh, I hope they didn't really use such a weak mounting point for something as important as holding the motor and tranny up. Did you see how thin those gussets are? The breaking point is a cross-shaped break only a couple MM thick. The belt-driven accessories have beefier mounting points.

I haven't looked at mine that closely, but I would hope that this mounting point is just to augment something else that is supposed to hold all that weight and torque. And that's the part that failed or came unbolted which caused this... I hope.

The OP never said whether or not the bolt on top is still connected. I asked if it's there, but he hasn't replied.
Careful, Piper; there are some here who will take offense to your criticism of the design.... because after all: "excellence was expected". haha.

I think the fact that this particular failure is so uncommon as to be relatively unheard-of speaks to the adequacy of the mounting. But yes, indeed, there are 5 bolts holding the entire engine/transaxle in place; one through-bolt on the front engine mount, and two bolts on each side of the transaxle. That is ALL that holds it in place. Nothing More.

I would tend to agree that it wouldn't surprise me to learn that there are scrapes on the bottom of the transaxle from an impact, but: that's not an easy place to impact. It's up quite a bit higher than several other major / heavy components. it's not the spot that typically bottoms-out.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:18 AM   #29

Quote:
Careful, Piper; there are some here who will take offense to your criticism of the design.... because after all: "excellence was expected". haha.

Quote:
... and two bolts on each side of the transaxle. That is ALL that holds it in place. Nothing More.
That's what leads me to believe that something is up with the top bolt, or it's missing. Obviously that tiny mount can't hold 1/3 of the weight and torque forces of a motor and tranny by itself.

Maybe the top bolt is designed to hold the bulk of it, and the lower one gives it more stability or something? I wouldn't even trust attaching a cherry picker to that bolt hole, seeing how thin those gussets are. Would you? Seriously, even belt-driven accessories have beefier mounting points. I've never seen that weak of motor mount attachment point. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-08-2020, 01:28 PM   #30

I appreciate all the impute! Finally! Me and two others are going to remove the transaxle today. Once in there I'll maybe replace the clutch and don't know about the IMS. I'll keep you posted.

2008 Toyota 4Runner
Emerald is offline   Reply With Quote