Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2020, 10:57 AM   #1

Volo VP 16 Tuner

Hi all-

I am going to give this tuner a go as its a code reader, remap/ programmer as well as has other cool features. I am keeping my 2002 Boxster S mild in terms of mods so I am hoping this will enhance the exhaust, intake and cayman TB.

Thoughts?

Here is a quick response I got from the seller via eBay:

New message from: voloperformance Top Rated Seller(6,579Green Star)
Thank you for your interest in the Volo Chip. The chip works by replacing the ECU's calculated fuel delivery and timing values stored in the temporary memory of the ECU at up to 256 load points. You can expect around 21 HP and 24 Torque on the Boxster. We believe you will like the VP16. Give it a try, if you have any more questions let us know. Thanks.
Your previous message

Hi-

Is this essentially a remap? I am looking to install this on a 2002 boxster s. Any specs for this vehicles with hp and tq? I have exhaust and an intake so it’s more of mild build/ naturally aspirated car.

Model: volo 16

Thx!

aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 12:07 PM   #2
Who's askin'?

I'm pretty skeptical, but will watch eagerly, hoping I'm wrong.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 12:17 PM   #3
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparke4 View Post
Hi all-

I am going to give this tuner a go as its a code reader, remap/ programmer as well as has other cool features. I am keeping my 2002 Boxster S mild in terms of mods so I am hoping this will enhance the exhaust, intake and cayman TB.

Thoughts?

Thank you for your interest in the Volo Chip. The chip works by replacing the ECU's calculated fuel delivery and timing values stored in the temporary memory of the ECU at up to 256 load points. You can expect around 21 HP and 24 Torque on the Boxster. We believe you will like the VP16. Give it a try, if you have any more questions let us know. Thanks.
Your previous message

Hi-

Is this essentially a remap? I am looking to install this on a 2002 boxster s. Any specs for this vehicles with hp and tq? I have exhaust and an intake so it’s more of mild build/ naturally aspirated car.

Thx!
I just spent all of 5 minutes doing some reading on that "chip". I wouldn't touch it. Good luck and, if you do install it... post your results.

Cheers!
Old 02-23-2020, 04:50 PM   #4

I will post up all angles and impressions of the unit... i will be honest: I got an offer from them that brought the unit down with tax to 280$ so i figured why not?

If it will actually remap the car and I can at the touch of a button go from stock to remap then it might be worth it... the only thing is that I dont have direct access to a dyno and still need to install my 996 plenum and cayman/ 911 TB. I will try and get base line numbers before the "tune" as well as the butt dyno and the units dyno too.

But, I will be the guinea pig for the 986. I do know that our older ECU's are pretty simple to "tune"... I might have wasted $280 as this unit cant control o2 sensor levels, etc in case I want to run headers which other units can at the 600$ or so level.

Worth a shot?
Old 02-23-2020, 04:52 PM   #5

Should be here Thursday Feb 28 FYI.
Old 02-23-2020, 05:02 PM   #6
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Hi all-

I am going to give this tuner a go as its a code reader, remap/ programmer as well as has other cool features. ...
Thoughts?

...{Generic vendor reply about how great their stuff is}...
I think that you will get more performance from you car by adding one of these VTech units. They have Great reviews, much cheaper, and have five different driving modes: VTech Discover-Driver

In case you want a realistic review of a Volo unit, look here: Bimmerfest Volo Review
That post is from an older model, but see if you can find an actual dyno test (Not the internal dyno on the VP-16) from someone who is not selling it.
Old 02-23-2020, 05:18 PM   #7
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
I think that you will get more performance from you car by adding one of these VTech units. They have Great reviews, much cheaper, and have five different driving modes: VTech Discover-Driver
Bought mine on Amazon. Great value mod!

Old 02-24-2020, 01:59 AM   #8

Quote:

Worth a shot?
No. Porsche has always used a totally proprietary logic system in their DME, which most OBD II scanners cannot even read.
Old 02-24-2020, 04:02 AM   #9

Unless you have access to a chassis dyno you are playing with fire . First off it's the only way to know if ANY mods you do have helped or harmed the performance goal . Second and much more important you have to be able to monitor AFR's . Manufacturers/retailers will say anything to sell product ......... buyer beware .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 07:34 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Hi all-

Thoughts?

Your previous message

Hi-

Thx!

The object of the game is to get more air into the engine! The DME can easily supply the fuel required for the air metered by the MAF senser as long as the fuel pump & injectors are working as they should . Don't waste your budget on non essential toys.

Last edited by BYprodriver; 02-24-2020 at 07:37 AM.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:37 AM   #11
Artist, 986S tinkerer

BYpro, love your tagline!
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:48 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
BYpro, love your tagline!

You have MayTag to thank for that.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:52 AM   #13
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
You have MayTag to thank for that.
you're welcome, then. I guess?

Last edited by maytag; 02-24-2020 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:51 AM   #14
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Jerk that is constantly criticizing new forum members and overtly advertising my rebuilt engine for sale for a highly inflated price along with other miscellaneous parts accumulated over my 20 years of ownership.
Fixed it for ya!
Old 02-24-2020, 01:37 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Fixed it for ya!

Are you Jerks Siamese Twins or just co dependent ?
Old 02-24-2020, 03:27 PM   #16
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Are you Jerks Siamese Twins or just co dependent ?

........ never mind....... you're really, really not worth it.

Last edited by maytag; 02-24-2020 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-27-2020, 04:15 PM   #17

For your pleasure:

Old 02-27-2020, 04:21 PM   #18
Who's askin'?

Quote:
For your pleasure:

Can't wait to hear about your results!

Old 04-21-2020, 05:48 PM   #19

So with Covid things have been weird but here is are the results of the tuner per my best of 8 dyno pulls... no notice in MPG, Power Loss or Check Engine Lights.

Compression Ratio : 11.0
Maximum power - Output - Horsepower : 260 PS or 256 bhp or 191 kW @ 6200 rpm
Maximum torque : 310 Nm or 228 lb.ft @ 4700 rpm

I just got an update for a new version of the software which is kinda cool as its super easy to upload and change via micro SD card.

I have a exhaust and high flow filter in stock box so I am doing cayman TB 74 mm and custom intake soon to completment this re-map.

Old 04-22-2020, 06:39 PM   #20

Updated the spftware and the tuner has to re-calibrate which kinda stinks because it takes about 100 miles. I checked all the boxes for the power tune as i do have a second cat delete which kinda lines up with test pipe... ill re-run the dyno before cold air intake and do tb as well in steps.

I also sent off micro SD card logging data back to Volo.