Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2020, 02:33 PM   #1

DME/Immobilizer swap, trunk latches not functioning

2001 boxster S 6speed

I managed to kill my oem DME and immobilizer. the car would start sometimes but would not drive. Got confirmation from a dealer the DME was bad.

I tracked down a used set (DME, immobilizer, ignition assembly) and swapped everything out this morning. The donor was a 2000 S manual.

The car starts and is operating again (Yay!) . But, before closing the hood I realized the front and rear hatch buttons arent doing anything. No solenoid action at all.

Anyone know the differences in MY 00 vs 01? I read it could be wire controlled vs computer controlled. Trying to trouble shoot since you kind of need access to these two areas.

Thanks!

Jerry1847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 02:38 PM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
My 2000 S has the manual frunk and trunk release levers; a physical cable is used to pull the latch release. The 2001 models use a electronic release (except for the 'emergency' release cables. If you want, I can check my parts shelf to see if I have a 2001 S set that could be traded for your current one. -I need to make sure it was an S model and manual.

Last edited by 78F350; 01-22-2020 at 02:41 PM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
My 2000 S has the manual frunk and trunk release levers; a physical cable is used to pull the latch release. The 2001 models use a electronic release (except for the 'emergency' release cables. If you want, I can check my parts shelf to see if I have a 2001 S set that could be traded for your current one. -I need to make sure it was an S model and manual.
I'm thinking the 2000 DME isn't coded for the electric switch. I think the switches are fine, just not wired correctly.

Did the 2000 have seat memory buttons?
Old 01-22-2020, 06:56 PM   #4

Garage
My 2000 does have seat memory buttons. I checked through my Parts collection and I do NOT have a 2001 S set. There's a 2002 S Tiptronic and the DME probably wouldn't be good with your manual transmission.
I found one of my 2000 S M535 boxes has a different part number -ends with "260.07" instead of "262.01"). Makes me curious. I'll look in the parts catalog and post anything useful I find.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:10 PM   #5

Garage
Here's the parts listing for the immobilizer boxes:

Note the years in the 'Remark' column. There's some overlap and some that will work for a '00 model and not an '01. Do you know what part number your car originally had?
Old 01-23-2020, 07:30 AM   #6
inveniam viam aut faciam

Yes, the different immobilizer part numbers have different functions. M535 only means that the modules have radio remote control. When you swap modules you must use the same part number if you want to be sure that everything works properly. One issue is that the early modules have the antenna terminals in the blue connector, whereas the later modules have a separate RF connector. Early ones also do not have the luggage compartment releases, like you have found. There are a few other differences.

The BIGGEST issue with swapping all the modules to get the car running is that unless you got the VIN number from the seller, you will not be able to do any programming on the immobilizer or DME in the future, like adding keys or reprogramming the DME. Basically, as far as Porsche's internal system is concerned, your car now has the identity of the car you swapped the modules from. If you don't have that VIN, don't lose your key as you won't be able to get another one unless you replace everything again...

The best way to replace immobilizer (IMO) is to get a new or used immobilizer of the same part number and have the info swapped over from the old immobilizer, or have get it programmed by a dealer if it is new. There is no need to replace everything, and while a dealer can't match a used immobilizer to your car, it can be done. I do it all the time, in the case of the module being severely water damaged or even burned. The only cases where you can't is if the internal data has been corrupted, which is only about 10% or less of the time.

Last edited by Qmulus; 01-23-2020 at 08:49 AM.
Qmulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 06:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Here's the parts listing for the immobilizer boxes:

Note the years in the 'Remark' column. There's some overlap and some that will work for a '00 model and not an '01. Do you know what part number your car originally had?
I didn't get the overlap I guess. The RF plug is different also. I'll prob try for a repair or wait for an 01 set
Old 01-25-2020, 06:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmulus View Post
Yes, the different immobilizer part numbers have different functions. M535 only means that the modules have radio remote control. When you swap modules you must use the same part number if you want to be sure that everything works properly. One issue is that the early modules have the antenna terminals in the blue connector, whereas the later modules have a separate RF connector. Early ones also do not have the luggage compartment releases, like you have found. There are a few other differences.

The BIGGEST issue with swapping all the modules to get the car running is that unless you got the VIN number from the seller, you will not be able to do any programming on the immobilizer or DME in the future, like adding keys or reprogramming the DME. Basically, as far as Porsche's internal system is concerned, your car now has the identity of the car you swapped the modules from. If you don't have that VIN, don't lose your key as you won't be able to get another one unless you replace everything again...

The best way to replace immobilizer (IMO) is to get a new or used immobilizer of the same part number and have the info swapped over from the old immobilizer, or have get it programmed by a dealer if it is new. There is no need to replace everything, and while a dealer can't match a used immobilizer to your car, it can be done. I do it all the time, in the case of the module being severely water damaged or even burned. The only cases where you can't is if the internal data has been corrupted, which is only about 10% or less of the time.
So I tried sending my DME and immobilizer of but the repair fee was super high. I went to two shops to edit a vin on a used DME (same year/version) and found no one likes to recode around here.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:32 PM   #9

Garage
Qmulus is the trusted, go-to guy to have these fixed correctly. Not just some random forum hack, but a pro with a shop. PM him.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:06 AM   #10

Quote:
My 2000 does have seat memory buttons. I checked through my Parts collection and I do NOT have a 2001 S set. There's a 2002 S Tiptronic and the DME probably wouldn't be good with your manual transmission.
I found one of my 2000 S M535 boxes has a different part number -ends with "260.07" instead of "262.01"). Makes me curious. I'll look in the parts catalog and post anything useful I find.
There's no difference between a manual and tiptronic when it comes to the dme, immobilizer and key. The tiptronic has it's own computer. I do believe someone with a piwis or pst can look up the vin number within the dme or immobilizer. The issue is that most tech's won't look that up before they program a key. They look at the vin on the car and assume the vin is the same as the dme/immobilizer. Therefor they program the key wrong.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:39 AM   #11

Did you try the ECU Dr. in Florida for a repair?
Deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
There's no difference between a manual and tiptronic when it comes to the dme, immobilizer and key. The tiptronic has it's own computer. I do believe someone with a piwis or pst can look up the vin number within the dme or immobilizer. The issue is that most tech's won't look that up before they program a key. They look at the vin on the car and assume the vin is the same as the dme/immobilizer. Therefor they program the key wrong.

Can you confirm that the tip is a separate control unit?

Finally got all the old stuff out and found an 01 S electronics set on eBay for an auto trans.

Going to order it since I haven't sent my stuff to be repaired yet. Good thing for 30 day returns!
Old 02-12-2020, 05:42 AM   #13

I've sold 40+ immobilizer,dme and key sets. It doesn't matter if the set is manual or auto. I'm not so sure it matters if it's a 2.7 or 3.2 either but I won't go on record as saying that. You can technically use a set from one on the other. My 2.7 rallycross boxster has a 3.2 ROW tune on the DME. Don't throw away your old set. I recommend holding onto it or selling it. Someone might want to try to fix it or you might need it in the future. If you do decide to use a used set, you don't need to switch out the ignition or door locks. All you need to do is switch the key head or more specifically the transponder pill.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:14 AM   #14
inveniam viam aut faciam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1847 View Post
Can you confirm that the tip is a separate control unit?

Finally got all the old stuff out and found an 01 S electronics set on eBay for an auto trans.

Going to order it since I haven't sent my stuff to be repaired yet. Good thing for 30 day returns!
Yes, the transmission control unit is separate. Yes, the part numbers for the DME/ECU/whatever you want to call it can be the same between different engines and manual or automatic, BUT they WILL be programmed differently, so it won't really operate correctly, especially if you try using a manual DME in a car with an automatic.

As I have said many times before, if you do get a set from another car, always get the VIN from the car that it came from as your car will now be the car the car those components came from as far as Porsche's system is concerned. That way you can get the programming codes from a Porsche dealer for that VIN so you can get the correct programming for your engine/transmission combination and be able to program keys or remotes in the future. Without those, you are stuck with whatever keys and programming in the DME that came with the immo/DME/key set. This is why I always recommend having replacement immos cloned to your old one so that your car's electronic VIN matches your actual VIN.

I hope that makes sense....