View Single Post
Old 02-12-2020, 11:14 AM   #14
Qmulus
inveniam viam aut faciam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1847 View Post
Can you confirm that the tip is a separate control unit?

Finally got all the old stuff out and found an 01 S electronics set on eBay for an auto trans.

Going to order it since I haven't sent my stuff to be repaired yet. Good thing for 30 day returns!
Yes, the transmission control unit is separate. Yes, the part numbers for the DME/ECU/whatever you want to call it can be the same between different engines and manual or automatic, BUT they WILL be programmed differently, so it won't really operate correctly, especially if you try using a manual DME in a car with an automatic.

As I have said many times before, if you do get a set from another car, always get the VIN from the car that it came from as your car will now be the car the car those components came from as far as Porsche's system is concerned. That way you can get the programming codes from a Porsche dealer for that VIN so you can get the correct programming for your engine/transmission combination and be able to program keys or remotes in the future. Without those, you are stuck with whatever keys and programming in the DME that came with the immo/DME/key set. This is why I always recommend having replacement immos cloned to your old one so that your car's electronic VIN matches your actual VIN.

I hope that makes sense....