Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2020, 04:21 AM   #1

Car not starting, P1571 code!

I have a 2000 Boxster non S and it had a busted front windshield so I DROVE it up on a trailer and took it to have it replaced. When I arrived at the shop I drove it off the trailer and then drove it back on when they were done.

When I tried to start it the next morning to unload it from the trailer it would not crank or turn over. I checked under the seat and water had got down to the immobilizer. I am trying to clean it up and dry it and I will test it to see if it is toasted. If it is I will contact Steve to see if he can repair it.

Question 1 : While working on the issue I noticed that the Tiptronic shifter can be taken out of Park and ran through RND without a key in the ignition or without a foot on the brake. I don't recall if I could do that before the starting issue. Is this normal and what is allowing it ? Could this be a sign as to why it is not turning over or attempting to crank? Could it be that something happened during the tow?

Question 2: Once I reinstall the immobilizer and plug it in can I attempt to start it as a test WITHOUT reinstalling the seat and plugging it in . I have heard that if I turn the key on while the seat is unplugged the airbag CEL will trigger and i will need to have it reset at the dealer.

Thanks for any help
Rick

Last edited by RickKlem; 01-28-2020 at 03:38 AM.
RickKlem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 03:37 AM   #2

Update info

I checked the shifter behavior and this is what I noticed:

With key in off position or out , The steering wheel is locked but I can move the shifter from park to any selection.
With key turned to the on / accessory position I cannot move shifter from Park without pressing the brake pedal .

Can someone please verify that this is the correct behavior?

As for the immobilizer unit. I cleaned all of the contacts on the box and the board itself. I reinstalled it but I still have the same issue, no crank. When I turn the key on all lights on the dash are on , then I turn it to the crank position and I get nothing. I checked for codes and I do have a P1571 / Immobilizer Error . I want to make sure that it is the issue before I send it out for a costly repair just to find out later that it is a ignition key switch issue or a relay somewhere.

Is there anything I should be checking or looking for before I send off the unit?

Thanks for any advice
Rick
Old 01-30-2020, 05:23 AM   #3

Wow, no comments or suggestions? Not much to see here.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:31 AM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Here's a clip from the owner's manual about the shift lock.

The car has to be in (P) or (N) in order to crank. I forget if that function uses a sensor in the gear shifter or the one at the transmission end of the shift cable. When I get a chance, I'll look it up and post if nobody else does.

If you turn on the ignition with the seat disconnected, it WILL trigger the airbag fault. There are some reasonably priced diagnostic code readers that will reset the light. I use an Autel MD 802.