986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Engine just stopped running!! (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/76997-engine-just-stopped-running.html)

kerrywittig 01-12-2020 04:50 AM

Engine just stopped running!!

1999 986 Boxster, 60k miles, no check engine light, new cam sensors and air/oil separator within the last 25 miles (to correct a check engine light), oil pressure & water temp fine, all electric works except starter.
Driving along and the car just stops running. Engine is free and no bad mechanical noises. It’s as if I just turned the ignition off. Starter doesn’t spin or engage.
Any ideas?
Thx in advance for any insight and help that the community can offer.
Kerry

kerrywittig 01-12-2020 06:04 AM

Found that fuse C1 (25amp) was blown.
Replaced fuse, engine started for a couple seconds and died. Immediately noticed that there was a puff of electrical smoke that came from the passenger/right side of the engine compartment (engine cover was removed)...

Now the question is, if it’s not obvious as to what is shorting out...what should I look for?

outsidetheboxster 01-12-2020 07:32 AM

As C1 is the engine electronics, and the cam sensor was recently replaced, I'd suggest following the wiring that had to be moved around to replace the sensor. Maybe it was left against the exhaust or a pinch point and has finally gone to ground?

kerrywittig 01-13-2020 12:03 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I found the problem...
I discovered a shorted wire where it entered/attached, and consequently burnt the wire on a sensor on the right side of the block. It has a 2 pin connector and a flange/collar that secures it via 2-10 mm bolts. It was very easy to unplug it, and the aluminum collar came right off. But the 5/8”-3/4” diameter sensor itself will NOT pull out of the bore it lives in. Very odd. I’ve tried pulling it using pliers, vice grips etc..
1. I have no idea what it “senses/monitors”.
2. No idea what the part is called.
3. Most important how the f*ck to extract it!
It rotates a bit , but will not pull out!
Any idea what it is, part number and how to remove it?

kerrywittig 01-13-2020 01:51 AM

Well I have found a variety of articles concerning replacing the VVT solenoid/actuator...
Now I need to decide whether to replace it myself or pay the price and just have Porsche do it...
The car is just a fun to drive hard and not concerned about aesthetics....solid car that I really didn’t expect to need to invest $1500-2k into for a labor intensive solenoid replacement.
Decisions, decisions...

Tremonte986 01-13-2020 02:38 AM

That's the variocam actuator. You will need a set of timing tools to replace this. It's quite a task to change this with the engine in the car as it will require removing bank 1 to access everything. May as well have the tensioners and pads replaced as well if going that deep.

Quadcammer 01-13-2020 10:41 AM

drop the motor, its worth the extra trouble to not have to fiddle with this in the car.