Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2019, 03:27 PM   #1

Headlight wiring question

Hi all,

Would anyone have any idea on how to enable the headlight bulbs to turn on when you switch/flash the main beams?

The reason is that I've sprayed the insides of the headlamps black as they have projectors. Trouble is, the main beams aren't bright due to having no reflectors. The projectors have a bi-xenon operation which throws the xenon light upwards when you flash someone... but only if the headlights are on. If you flash someone when they're off, they don't turn on - nothing happens.

Is there a way of having the headlight bulbs to operate with the main beams?

I'm hoping it's a case of jumping the wires from the main beams to the headlights along with a diode to not allow the headlights to turn on the mainbeams? If so, what diode should I get?

Cheers!

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 03:43 PM   #2

Like this:

Or is it safer/easier to use some relays to tell the dipped beams to turn on when the main beams have current?

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
Old 10-16-2019, 03:36 AM   #3

I can't answer your question, but I'd love to see your headlights. I've always wanted to black mine out too
Old 10-16-2019, 04:34 AM   #4

Old 10-16-2019, 11:52 PM   #5

I like it!
Old 10-17-2019, 11:45 AM   #6

Anyone have any ideas?

Old 10-17-2019, 12:36 PM   #7
Custom User Title Here

Garage
So, you’re looking to flash with headlights off and the stock halogen bulbs aren’t bright enough now that you've painted your reflectors black?

Switch them out for an LED bulb that throws a lot of light forward and use them as your flashers.

Electrically, it’s a simple relay activated by the main beam power that switches between the bi-xenon high beam solenoid and the “stock” bulb.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
So, you’re looking to flash with headlights off and the stock halogen bulbs aren’t bright enough now that you've painted your reflectors black?

Switch them out for an LED bulb that throws a lot of light forward and use them as your flashers.

Electrically, it’s a simple relay activated by the main beam power that switches between the bi-xenon high beam solenoid and the “stock” bulb.
Tried the LED's, they're not enough unfortunately! Good thinking.

I've got a load of relays spare but I couldn't get my head around the wiring for them.

How's tricks? It's been a while.

Old 11-21-2019, 02:54 PM   #9

Quote:

Any chance you could very quickly mock up the wiring I'd need for this? Looking to do it soon.

Really appreciate it.

Unless a simple diode would work? Could anyone just confirm it would without melting wires?

Old 11-22-2019, 03:40 AM   #10
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I think I was a bit confused...

Do you want to flash the HID bulbs with the stalk when the headlight switch is off?
You can’t flash HIDs. That’s why you must keep the original high beam bulb.

You could use the fog lights as flash bulbs or add LED DRLs.
A diode also won’t work.

Last edited by particlewave; 11-22-2019 at 03:44 AM.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:24 AM   #11

Quote:
I think I was a bit confused...

Do you want to flash the HID bulbs with the stalk when the headlight switch is off?
You can’t flash HIDs. That’s why you must keep the original high beam bulb.

You could use the fog lights as flash bulbs or add LED DRLs.
A diode also won’t work.
Was going to switch to LED lights so that I could. How come the diode wouldn't work? Is there any other way to do this? The other option is to split the headlight and paint the reflector back to a reflective material.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:35 AM   #12
Custom User Title Here

Garage

Last edited by particlewave; 11-22-2019 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-23-2019, 01:03 PM   #13

Quote:

Ummmm....?

Old 11-23-2019, 06:26 PM   #14
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Old 11-24-2019, 07:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Is this the relay wiring to flash the original high beam bulb that you put in the bi-xenon projectors you used to assemble? I'm going to try and build a set with some old craigslist headlights I picked up, now that I have successfully opened one of mine up to re-glue the projector lens into the shrould and re-sealed it. Thanks in advance!
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:53 AM   #16
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
Is this the relay wiring to flash the original high beam bulb that you put in the bi-xenon projectors you used to assemble? I'm going to try and build a set with some old craigslist headlights I picked up, now that I have successfully opened one of mine up to re-glue the projector lens into the shrould and re-sealed it. Thanks in advance!
No, Ger wants to use his low beams as flashers with the headlights off.

Yours is a bit different and simpler. I’ll get your diagram to you.
Old 11-24-2019, 09:44 AM   #17
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post

This is yours, Paul.

Old 11-24-2019, 05:03 PM   #18

Thanks Particlewave!
Quote:
This is yours, Paul.

Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote